Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darrenLA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2017
Why do Sprint phones consistently have a lower resale values- compared to Verizon or AT&T? Why is the resale value higher for an AT&T GSM only phone? My A1661 has the exact same specs of Apple Factory Unlock yet gets anywhere from $30-$100 less

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Most customers have no clue about CDMA vs GSM and Carrier overlap. Everyone hates dealing with Sprint Customer Service for any reason. They make even simple things almost impossible to complete.

Dave

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Why do Sprint phones consistently have a lower resale values- compared to Verizon or AT&T? Why is the resale value higher for an AT&T GSM only phone? My A1661 has the exact same specs of Apple Factory Unlock yet gets anywhere from $30-$100 less
Try and get it unlocked and then come back and see if you have the same question.

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
Apple has pretty good trade in values and is the same for all carrier models if you don't want to deal with reselling. You can apply the amount towards a new phone or get it as credit. You can also try Buybackworld and actually get cash for it. I've used them before and they were fast and easy. If you use the code Appleinsider10 you get an extra $10 added to the trade in value. They offer more than carriers do.

Last edited:

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
I don't think Sprint's iPhone's are unlocked, that's why. AT&T versions are usually easy to unlock and also work on GSM carriers, while Verizon works on all carriers except for Sprint (I don't think they allow them).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.