Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twanj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
Pompano Beach, FL
I have roughly 700 GB of pictures that I've had offline plus another 100-200? GB from my phone that I'd like to have all in one place.

This includes .TIFF scans of old family photos going back to 1800s, but mostly .JPGs, .CR2 (Canon Raw 2), and iPhone videos.

I assume all the metadata is correct for the digital photos/videos, but not the scanned stuff which I don't even know the correct date for.

I'd been storing the photos/videos in directories like /Year/DateImportedComments/ like /2000/0121party/ etc.
I believe I used to use ACDSee on Windows to go through the directories and see thumbnails.

I assume Photos.app on macos can handle this fine? Any drawbacks?

mmkerc

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2014
I have about 2.7Tb of photos, and short videos (30 second -2 min on phone camera). Initially I stored everything in a single photo library, but as in approach 1TB the lag in pulling the info up was too slow so I create library by year (or in some cases multiyears). So given you list an M3 Mac I do not think you will have a major issue (in terms of size), though when you first move them to the Mac it will be slow due to the indexing. Not sure how long that would take.

The bigger issue I see, and there maybe a solution for this is when I copied the files to new machines I lost the metadata. My work around (it is been several years since I did this) is I have a 4 TB drive that holds all of my photos/movies in native file format (not in a library but a folder with individual files).

I personally like Aperture which Apple discontinued, so you might want to look a Lightroom though I have never used it.

• Love
Reactions: twanj

twanj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
Pompano Beach, FL
I have about 2.7Tb of photos, and short videos (30 second -2 min on phone camera). Initially I stored everything in a single photo library, but as in approach 1TB the lag in pulling the info up was too slow so I create library by year (or in some cases multiyears). So given you list an M3 Mac I do not think you will have a major issue (in terms of size), though when you first move them to the Mac it will be slow due to the indexing. Not sure how long that would take.

The bigger issue I see, and there maybe a solution for this is when I copied the files to new machines I lost the metadata. My work around (it is been several years since I did this) is I have a 4 TB drive that holds all of my photos/movies in native file format (not in a library but a folder with individual files).

I personally like Aperture which Apple discontinued, so you might want to look a Lightroom though I have never used it.

Most of my videos are pretty short too.

The photos are already on the mac.
Did you mean indexing when imported into Photos?

That sucks about losing the metadata!
I guess the only bit I really need is date created. You lost that too?

How seamless is it switching between photo libraries?

mmkerc

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2014
Most of my videos are pretty short too.

The photos are already on the mac.
Did you mean indexing when imported into Photos?

That sucks about losing the metadata!
I guess the only bit I really need is date created. You lost that too?

How seamless is it switching between photo libraries?
Yes, Photos will index your photos when you upload them, and/or start identify "names to faces" which was the big slowdown for me. I lost all the metadata, the dates for some reason all revert to the Summer of Love 1967 however as it kept the groups I was able to batch change the date to the right month and year. Forgot the name of the program I used, but there are several available nowadays.

• Sad

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
OP, by "all in one place" do you mean one app (Photos) or one computer (Mac)? I'll suggest you consider the latter and organize actual photos in the Photos app and index the videos in the TV app. Both would be on a single Mac and could easily be synched to iDevices but they would obviously be managed in different apps.

I would also consider perhaps splitting the photo library into maybe a few Photos libraries, just to get them down in size. For example, it sounds like you are well organized based around time. So maybe split the libraries up like that. I don't know how many of each you have but it might be something like a pre-1990, 1991-2009, 2010-present.

Or maybe you split them all out by close family, more distant family (branches of the tree) and then friends & others.

Of course, you would choose whatever makes the most sense, but the core idea is to maybe split them out into a couple of libraries. Switching libraries is easy: hold down the option key when you open Photos and then choose the library you want to view/update.

The CATCH: if you want to sync photos from multiple libraries to iDevices, you can't do that (in the simple Finder way typical of synching). One library will be designated as main library and that's the one for synching. However, a good option there is to pick some "best of" classic photos you'd like to sync too and move copies of those into the main library. And of course, you can always transfer some other (alt libraries) photos to the main library at any time.

OR make a pass on all of the photos and create one new "best of" library with a subset of the big one (or ones if you take this advice) and let the "best of" library take over as main library for synching.

I have THREE Photos libraries: main, business, oldies. The oldies one is HUGE but it rarely gets any new updates. So it is stored as its own library, pretty much stays the same, and thus doesn't eat up lots of Time Machine (backup) space since it tends to be unchanged for long periods of time.

Business is simply business-related photos for clients and my own business, stock art, website art, etc.

Main, is the main library, which includes some "best of" photos from the oldies. In this one, I have many albums and I sync some of those albums to my iDevices.

This all works just fine.

A friend of mine likes using a phone like a document scanner (taking pictures of documents). So their library was pretty full of documents... which was often personal documents and she didn't really want them mixed together. So, we created a documents Photos library and deleted all of the photos from it (leaving only documents). Then, we deleted all documents from main library leaving only photos. This was ideal and a natural way to "split" a library. Private documents are in a library on the Mac. Photos are actual photos and can be more easily shared with other family members, viewed on AppleTV, etc.

On the video side, you can set up the TV app so that it indexing all of your videos but leaves them where they are (on the external drive) instead of importing them to the internal drive (and basically eating up very EXPENSIVE space- thanks Apple). If you are interested in this, let me know and I'll lay out the simple way how to do this.

Lastly, this kind of media tends to be the most personally valuable media on our computers. BE CERTAIN you have a great backup strategy that includes at least 2 full BACKUPS, with one of those always stored offsite. A classic & easy way to do this is use the free Time Machine app that comes with Macs and allocate 2 BIG HDDs for TM, letting it make full backups to BOTH drives. Store one offsite to protect against fire/flood/theft scenarios. Regularly rotate offsite with onsite HDD so that offsite is always pretty up to date. If you do this and suffer a catastrophe that takes out both the main Mac and the onsite TM drive, that offsite will restore the WHOLE archive for you. This is VERY IMPORTANT for this kind of media. Get on it if you do not already have a good strategy. Else, disaster is one iceberg away.

Last edited:

retiredInDelaware

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2024
Georgetown, DE
I have roughly 700 GB of pictures that I've had offline plus another 100-200? GB from my phone that I'd like to have all in one place.

This includes .TIFF scans of old family photos going back to 1800s, but mostly .JPGs, .CR2 (Canon Raw 2), and iPhone videos.

I assume all the metadata is correct for the digital photos/videos, but not the scanned stuff which I don't even know the correct date for.

I'd been storing the photos/videos in directories like /Year/DateImportedComments/ like /2000/0121party/ etc.
I believe I used to use ACDSee on Windows to go through the directories and see thumbnails.

I assume Photos.app on macos can handle this fine? Any drawbacks?
Have you considered using ACDSee for the Mac? I use ACDSee Photo Studio 6 on my 2015 iMac with 900 Gbytes of photos and have been very happy with it's features and performance.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
I know it will cost you money (year after year), but you should at least consider Lightroom. I say that because you have a) many nearly a TB, b) many photo types, and c) you already have a folder structure. LR combines a DAM with non-destructive Photo editing. Weakness for you, is that whilst it will manage the videos, LR is not a video editor.

But other suggestions above are equally good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.