Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Funny you mention it. I was just staring at my old 7500 and Beige G3 and wondering what the heck do I do with these things. The respect they once commanded makes me unable to throw them out either.

I was thinking of the G3 as a music server (along with Airtunes).

benbrignell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2005
Maybe one day an alien race will come down and take them to analyse our history...

I also found a 22" screen as well... I've got to stop hording...

There was a local charity that took some things for the third world etc but they no longer accept anythign beige.

Cheers

Ben

Garage Band Forum

http://www.garagebandforum.net

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
benbrignell said:
... There was a local charity that took some things for the third world etc but they no longer accept anythign beige. ...
That's totally lame- are you sure they're legit? I've never heard of a charity rejecting something

benbrignell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2005
Well, I remember it was a voluntary org, so maybe not a charity. They shipped and installed old Macs for the third world....

Then again - they might have just been building internet cafés!

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
benbrignell said:
Well, I remember it was a voluntary org, so maybe not a charity. They shipped and installed old Macs for the third world....

Then again - they might have just been building internet cafés!

Still, a 7200 or 9200 with enough RAM, toss on OS 9.1 (or 9.2 w/the hack) and you've still got a very viable machine! ;)

Some charity :rolleyes: (if it is one.)

tobio

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2004
London
Woah there? 9.2 hack???

Pardon me for being lazy and not searching, but could you post some more details, for the benefit of anyone else who stumbles over this thread and hasn't heard of this?

I have an old powermac 9500 with and XLR8 G3 card and 256Mb ram, and would like to be able to take OS9 to the limit, which I have otherwise been unable to do even though I know full well I have the power for it.

To keep on topic, I was gonna give this one to my mum who wanted a computer, but she ended up buying the cheapest dell going. I can't say I completely blame her, as this was before the mac mini came out, but new her computer is a real POS.

These old-world powermacs are really reaching the end of their useful lifespan nowadays, I think you would even be hard pressed to find art/music-students who would take one off your hands, but that is the area I would go for. Try to find a loving home for it. Somebody who just wants a functional dependable computer, where speed isn't an issue.

The only other thought I have, is that some old PCI cards only have drivers for OS9, so if someone has one of those that they need to get working, your old powermac would be perfect.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
5300cs said:
That's totally lame- are you sure they're legit? I've never heard of a charity rejecting something
There's a point wher repairing and upgrading a machine will cost the charity far more than its worth. For example, any computer that uses EDO or RAMBus RAM is starting to get really expensive to bring up to modern RAM requirements - or the RAM is simply unavailable -- not a problem with Mac desktop machines but there are some Powerbooks and Toshiba/IBM laptops that we simply cannot get the proprietary memory for any longer.

Machines that take only SCSI hard drives and opticals can also be a pain unless you have a ready source of SCSI spares. Pentium (one) machines and 680x0 machines don't have the oomph to run modern web browsers and the OS's that are required to support them.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
CanadaRAM said:
There's a point wher repairing and upgrading a machine will cost the charity far more than its worth. For example, any computer that uses EDO or RAMBus RAM is starting to get really expensive to bring up to modern RAM requirements - or the RAM is simply unavailable -- not a problem with Mac desktop machines but there are some Powerbooks and Toshiba/IBM laptops that we simply cannot get the proprietary memory for any longer.

Machines that take only SCSI hard drives and opticals can also be a pain unless you have a ready source of SCSI spares. Pentium (one) machines and 680x0 machines don't have the oomph to run modern web browsers and the OS's that are required to support them.

Well, when you put it that way ...

Too bad, I still think those are basically useable machines. I wonder if he could drop them off with a school or something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.