Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

t^3

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2001
The specs for the 17" pBook show that the L2 cache is 256k and L3 is at 1MB, while we all know that the 7457 has 512k of L2 and 2MB of L3. I really doubt Apple would be cutting back on the cache on its top of the line laptop.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Could happen but didnt motorolas say the 7457 was not going into mass production until 4th qtr this year? If it does come out great. only problem is that it should have been introduced last year.

I think it's bogus because:
  1. 256K cache
  2. 7457 production isn't even going to be in full swing until late this year
    [/list=1]
    I will be going to the Apple Store to play with the 12" and 17" PowerBook to see which one is right for me soon. I could check to verify its a 7455 or earlier.

NSObject

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Wasn't that the one that used only 10 Watt? Fits good in a Notebook, may be the Battery Life ist a lot longe through that, even if I don't want to see Moto Processor anymore, too slow...

greets

NicoMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2002
Malmö, Sweden
Originally posted by t^3
The specs for the 17" pBook show that the L2 cache is 256k and L3 is at 1MB, while we all know that the 7457 has 512k of L2 and 2MB of L3. I really doubt Apple would be cutting back on the cache on its top of the line laptop.
You sure about the actual 17" specs for L2 cache? I have yet to see it. I am not saying that you are wrong but MacBidouille suggests (I am french so I can tell) that the lack of L2 information on the 17" (as opposed to actual information on the L2 cache on the 12") would point to the 7457...

Now it might be wishful thinking... (early store prototypes could be running on 7455s. They are pin compatible and the battery life thing is not important in a store where they have it plugged in all day long)

NicoMan

PS: the 10W figure is for embedded appliances. For an embedded appliance rating, the important thing is power consumption only (with low voltage). It doesn't mean that the chips cannot go to higher frequencies. Those chips are very likely to be rated to higher voltages, hence higher frequencies, but to the detriment of power consumption, which then doesn't apply to embedded appliances... Macs maybe?

NicoMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2002
Malmö, Sweden
Originally posted by MacCoaster
I think it's bogus because:
  1. 256K cache
  2. 7457 production isn't even going to be in full swing until late this year
    [/list=1]
    I will be going to the Apple Store to play with the 12" and 17" PowerBook to see which one is right for me soon. I could check to verify its a 7455 or earlier.

1. Pre-production samples for Apple stores could be on 7455s read my post above so even if you were to start the System Profiler you would be reading 256KB L2 cache but that still wouldn't mean anything.

NicoMan

NicoMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2002
Malmö, Sweden
Originally posted by NSObject
Wasn't that the one that used only 10 Watt? Fits good in a Notebook, may be the Battery Life ist a lot longe through that, even if I don't want to see Moto Processor anymore, too slow...

greets

Those chips are very likely to have a 30-40 Watts rating. Which would mean that low voltage equals 1 GHz and 10W. At the other end of the spectrum, you can have higher voltage (1.5 to 1.8V) which then equals to 30-50W and frequency of 1.42 (PowerMacs anyone???) to 1.8GHz or more.

Does that make any sense ?

NicoMan

t^3

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2001
You sure about the actual 17" specs for L2 cache? I have yet to see it. I am not saying that you are wrong but MacBidouille suggests (I am french so I can tell) that the lack of L2 information on the 17" (as opposed to actual information on the L2 cache on the 12") would point to the 7457...
I'm just reading what it says on http://www.apple.com/powerbook/specs.html.

NicoMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2002
Malmö, Sweden
Originally posted by t^3
I'm just reading what it says on http://www.apple.com/powerbook/specs.html.
I can't believe I missed that doc (apparently, MacBidouille missed it too). But the pdf specs of the 17" do not mention the L2 cache, as opposed to the 12"... I guessed wishful thinking played a big part in this.
But I can't understand why Apple would delay their 17" for another month/month-and-a-half... If not for a production problem with the 7457... (I might be drunk, but I'm not completely stupid... DOH!!!)

NicoMan

rideahyperLite

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2003
could be reason for the long delay? maybe they wanted to distance the 17 from the 15 more so that when they updated the 15 it wouldnt just be minor adjustments that wouldnt bring in many sales. prob. wrong tho

gama-go

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2003
san francisco
mac store demo 17"

hey, I went to the apple store in emeryville last week & they didn't have any demo units of the 17" - I asked about it & the guy said he didn't know when they'd be in.

Do other stores have them? I'm itching to order one but I gotta make sure it's not too insanely massive.

I played with the 12" a bunch just for kicks, man - the bottom of that puppy gets super toasty!

-G

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
The San Diego Apple store has a 17 inch powerbook. I got to hold it, pick it up, hug it. EVERYTHING EXCEPT TURN IT ON! Those butt-munches...

They said that they wont turn it on because its not "configured". I think otherwise...

gama-go

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2003
san francisco
17" demo

I called the emeryville store yesterday and talked to a guy who said he had a "demo" unit in the window that couldn't power up. Under extensive questioning he said that he expected a fully-functioning unit in the store in 1 week.

whatsz that about?

-G

NicoMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2002
Malmö, Sweden
Re: 17" demo

Originally posted by gama-go
I called the emeryville store yesterday and talked to a guy who said he had a "demo" unit in the window that couldn't power up. Under extensive questioning he said that he expected a fully-functioning unit in the store in 1 week.

whatsz that about?

-G

They can't power them up. Nobody can. People would go to the system profiler and see the size of the L2 cache... You know that!!!

NicoMan

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.

Attachments

• 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 446

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Re: Re: a bump

Originally posted by sparkleytone
interesting, every xbench result I have seen so far from the results database returns that the chip is a 7455.

maybe it doesnt have the indentifcation tags yet to identify it as a 7457?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.