Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 1, 2021
iphone 11 is still in Apple store but very likely just 3 years more iOS support. S21 FE which just released right before S22 series sounds like a much better deal with similar price range as 11 having 4 years support. 11 is 2 years older than S21 FE.

I am using 11 and there is zero reason to switch to new iPhone. My camera photos are even better than 13 Pro sometimes. 13 Pro camera AI is too aggressive, sometimes it even makes people face look totally in another color like red color for no reason. I have both at home so test these a lot. 13 Pro screen is little bit better but not a big deal. People like me who never upgrade iphones force Apple to cut support years lol xd.

izzy0242mr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
iphone 11 is still in Apple store but very likely just 3 years more iOS support. S21 FE which just released right before S22 series sounds like a much better deal with similar price range as 11 having 4 years support. 11 is 2 years older than S21 FE.

I am using 11 and there is zero reason to switch to new iPhone. My camera photos are even better than 13 Pro sometimes. 13 Pro camera AI is too aggressive, sometimes it even makes people face look totally in another color like red color for no reason. I have both at home so test these a lot. 13 Pro screen is little bit better but not a big deal. People like me who never upgrade iphones force Apple to cut support years lol xd.
Good; people upgrade phones way too often. It's bad for the environment, promotes unhealthy spending habits, and—honestly—these days the "upgrades" from both new software and new hardware is often minor.

We're in the age of smartphones. Most of them work well. Some have better cameras, sure, and there are always upgrades you can get for cameras to look better, but at the end of the day—especially with iPhones—Apple Silicon is insanely overpowered for what the vast majority use their phones for. Most people don't need the latest chips.

Buy a used but good condition phone that costs only $300~, and keep your device for as long as it continues to work reliably. Just because a new phone is better has minimal impact on how good your phone still is.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC

i have both at home too and I don't know the 13 pro's screen i would say is miles better than the 11 side by side...
in a vacuum the 11 screen is ok.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Not sure why having 3 more years of iOS support frightens you for whatever reason, unless you are concerned about missing out new features you want. Frankly, having long term software support can sometimes backfire (see apple watch series 3 And iOS 9 on 512MB RAM iPhone).

Reactions: kitKAC and 3Rock

Spetsgruppa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2021
have you bought the S21 FE yet? and how did you deal with the "i dont want to pay for iCloud" problem?

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 1, 2021
Not sure why having 3 more years of iOS support frightens you for whatever reason, unless you are concerned about missing out new features you want. Frankly, having long term software support can sometimes backfire (see apple watch series 3 And iOS 9 on 512MB RAM iPhone).

Apple watch is different from iphone. iPhone without latest ios is done because safari is updated with ios update only and all browsers like Chrome in ios is based on safari.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Apple watch is different from iphone. iPhone without latest ios is done because safari is updated with ios update only and all browsers like Chrome in ios is based on safari.
It's still a bit of a paranoid side thinking your iPhone without latest iOS would suddenly stop working, but no. Same for your browser. Yes they may not be the latest anymore, but still serves their purpose. Heck, I am using Windows XP VM with old version of Chrome to test things out and it works.

Also, most websites won't just drop supporting older Safari the moment Apple deems those devices no longer receiving updates. You will be fine for a couple more years before you can feel the impact, most of the time.

Reactions: kitKAC

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 1, 2021
It's still a bit of a paranoid side thinking your iPhone without latest iOS would suddenly stop working, but no. Same for your browser. Yes they may not be the latest anymore, but still serves their purpose. Heck, I am using Windows XP VM with old version of Chrome to test things out and it works.

Also, most websites won't just drop supporting older Safari the moment Apple deems those devices no longer receiving updates. You will be fine for a couple more years before you can feel the impact, most of the time.

Not really, a lot of stuff will start to break in updated websites and security is another big concern. Using an outdated browser is a nightmare. Not just safari, a lot of main tools in ios only update with ios.

IsaacM

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
Your iPhone 11 won't suddenly stop being usable if it stops getting updates in 3 years. It will still get security updates so it will be perfectly safe to use.

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 1, 2021
Your iPhone 11 won't suddenly stop being usable if it stops getting updates in 3 years. It will still get security updates so it will be perfectly safe to use.

What did Apple mention security update for outdated ios? This is not windows.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Not really, a lot of stuff will start to break in updated websites and security is another big concern. Using an outdated browser is a nightmare. Not just safari, a lot of main tools in ios only update with ios.
Yes they will, but won’t happen overnight or even in a few months. As for the security, while it is generally considered bad to run outdated software for security reasons, being vigilant is still one of the most powerful Protections.
The gist Is: don’t worry about end of iOS support much.
iOS 16 now introduces security updates similar to macOS so unsupported device would receive some security updates after they are discontinued.

Cobold

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Dieburg, Germany
iOS 12 got several security updates on devices not suitable for update to 13 or newer (like iPhone 6). The last update beeing 12.5.5 released on September 23rd 2021.

The same will happen with iOS 15 for devices not suitable for 16.

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 1, 2021
iOS 12 got several security updates on devices not suitable for update to 13 or newer (like iPhone 6).
The same will happen with iOS 15 for devices not suitable for 16.

Did happen to ios 13, 14 but you expect happen to 15? It was because of Coivd 19 right?

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 1, 2021
Yes they will, but won’t happen overnight or even in a few months. As for the security, while it is generally considered bad to run outdated software for security reasons, being vigilant is still one of the most powerful Protections.
The gist Is: don’t worry about end of iOS support much.

iOS 16 now introduces security updates similar to macOS so unsupported device would receive some security updates after they are discontinued.

I didn't see Apple mention this

Xand&Roby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2020
I don't understand the point of the situation.

iPhone 11 will continue to work even when support is discontinued.

I personally changed the iPhone SE 16 because there is no evolution of the mini model, so I bought the 13 mini. The SE had overheating issues (but there are on all iPhones lately, iOS’ fault) and the battery has been destroyed by iOS 13 onwards.

The problem is not so much support, it is that iOS is getting worse from version to version. Just this morning I was testing two identical 5s, one with iOS 8.3, the other with iOS 12.5.5, well not only was the updated one slower but it had embarrassing battery consumption. The solution is NOT to update the sw until the hw resists, and update the hw when it resists.

Reactions: Shirasaki

ArkSingularity

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2022
It's doubtful the 11 will still run as smoothly in 2025 as it does today (with software upgrades), so eventually there comes a point when it doesn't make sense to keep pushing major version updates. Software gets heavier. 3 years of software updates for a phone being sold today is on the lower end for Apple, but most Android phones will be lucky to get more than one or two major version updates in their entire lifetime. Apple has some of the best software support lifecycles in the industry when it comes to their phones.

I do agree that they make their Macs obsolete far sooner than they should. Even Macs now labeled as "vintage" can usually run Monterey without a hitch on OpenCore. But phones have simply accelerated far faster in their technology. 5 years is an eternity with the way that phone processing hardware has improved.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016

Where has Apple said that iOS 15 is going end of support?

KOTN91

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
How terrible, a phone that is 3 years old only has another 3 years of support left? Shocking. I think you should sue Apple and get an Android instead as everyone knows they are supported for at least 20 years, have very intuitive software and never break after 6 months or anything /s

• Haha
Reactions: Funny Apple Man

KOTN91

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
How terrible, a phone that is 3 years old only has another 3 years of support left? Shocking. I think you should sue Apple and get an Android instead as everyone knows they are supported for at least 20 years, have very intuitive software and never break after 6 months or anything /s

Mark Stone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2022
In its case.
I have friends that still use iPhone 5s, and are very happy. I played with one of their phones during a visit, and they still have really impressive speed. They make calls, send texts, surf the web, etc. with grace. Certainly they don’t have some of the more modern and “hip” Apple features - like “memogies” - but they’re practical and strong. Apple hardware has always been superior and these old phones don’t just die when iOS updates stop coming down.

Reactions: Andeddu
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.