Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Original poster
Rather speaks for it's self :)

Little weak on the GPU side, however for those that can lever the performance of the CPU a "flyer" Not for those seeking long run times off the power :p Wouldn't mind picking one up at the right price, although still happy with my current 17"

Q-6

Queen6

macrumors G4
Original poster
Very much so, equally if one is not able to lever the 8 Cores, then there is better to be bought at a lower price point. Plan to have a look at one shortly, purely out of interest. At this point not enough to tip the balance, add in a Vega might be a different story for those that prefer AMD and gaming is a must...

Q-6

Queen6

macrumors G4
Original poster
There were some 12-core Xeon "laptops" some years ago.

True, but not this performance at this price point. It's an interesting notebook although I feel a little imbalanced; better GPU would serve the gamers, more colour accurate display would serve those looking to render video etc.

If one can utilise the 8 Core's an interesting proposition, although for a 17" notebook it is rather limited in scalability, with everything rather centred around the CPU Core count.

Q-6

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I thought this is what I need when it was shown last year, but I will wait for:

- Proper thermal management
- Thunderbolt
- Vega
- 4x RAM slots, I already have a "32GiB" laptop.
- Hard drive makers have stopped caring, it needs to fit a 15mm HDD.
- Hopefully, 15" screen.

I would still want a socket and proper BIOS updates.

1:15 battery charge is way better than 0:30 with the aforementioned Xeon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Queen6

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
True, but not this performance at this price point. It's an interesting notebook although I feel a little imbalanced; better GPU would serve the gamers, more colour accurate display would serve those looking to render video etc.

If one can utilise the 8 Core's an interesting proposition, although for a 17" notebook it is rather limited in scalability, with everything rather centred around the CPU Core count.

Q-6
Yes my thoughts exactly its all rev'd up but nowhere to go :) re GPU/Screen

Queen6

macrumors G4
Original poster

Core I9 notebooks are pretty much here :D

Aorus X9 makes for a killer portable, that's a lot computing power on the go :D Meanwhile at Apple, Tim & Co congratulate themselves on making yet more empty promises :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: while working out how to **** up the MBP even more...

Another

These are going to fly, just turn off the LED's and no one will remotely care what it is, equally the results will be impressive.

Q-6

Reactions: SteveJUAE

Queen6

macrumors G4
Original poster
I thought this is what I need when it was shown last year, but I will wait for:

- Proper thermal management
- Thunderbolt
- Vega
- 4x RAM slots, I already have a "32GiB" laptop.
- Hard drive makers have stopped caring, it needs to fit a 15mm HDD.
- Hopefully, 15" screen.

I would still want a socket and proper BIOS updates.

1:15 battery charge is way better than 0:30 with the aforementioned Xeon.

Hopefully, this one just looks more a design exercise by AMD & ASUS to get it's hardware out there quickly. The current 8 core at the right price would interest me, as there's always the chance that ASUS will EOL the model. I don't see it appealing to the average gamer given the GPU and lack of games that would really benefit from having 8 cores, but for a number cruncher very handy...

Q-6

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.