Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

austyn23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 22, 2017
So I went to the store and play with the 8+ and the XR (the 11 is equal in size/weight).

The 8+ is bigger in every way but it feels lighter and better on hands?

Is the thickness I think?

The XR feels much chunky than the +, maybe the thick bezels around the screen plus the notch gave me the sensation of a brick?

I had the XR before and sent it back to get the regular 8. I’m tempted to get the 11, but the 8+ is really cheap this days...

The night mode would be the deal breaker in my decision, I want better photos in low light!

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
It’s probably because it’s close to the same weight but in a bit more compact design. My 8 plus feels lighter than my Note 9 even though they weigh the same.

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
So I went to the store and play with the 8+ and the XR (the 11 is equal in size/weight).

The XR feels much chunky than the +, maybe the thick bezels around the screen plus the notch gave me the sensation of a brick?

I had the XR before and sent it back to get the regular 8. I’m tempted to get the 11, but the 8+ is really cheap this days...

The night mode would be the deal breaker in my decision, I want better photos in low light!
Last fall my wife upgraded to an 8+, she likes that form factor, wants nothing to do with the all screen phones. The 8+ is a great phone and will still be for the next few years.

austyn23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 22, 2017
iPhone 11 all the way in 2019. Especially upgrading from your 8. Or splurge for the 11 Pro, it's not as clunky.

Can’t use apple oled sadly!

It’s probably because it’s close to the same weight but in a bit more compact design. My 8 plus feels lighter than my Note 9 even though they weigh the same.

8+ more compact??

Last fall my wife upgraded to an 8+, she likes that form factor, wants nothing to do with the all screen phones. The 8+ is a great phone and will still be for the next few years.

Yes it is but now the 11 offers portrait mode for everything (not just humana like the XR) and the night mode, that is a deal breaker if it works as they said...

Reactions: DevinNj

musicman0725

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2007

The 11 Pro is closest in size to your 8. The 8+ isn’t really an upgrade over the 8 except that it has a zoom lens and is bigger. If you didn’t like the size of the XR, you won’t like the size of the 11 and probably wouldn’t like the size of the 8+.

The lens used on the XS and XR was much better in low light conditions than the 8 series lens. Add night mode to the 11 series and I think you’ll be very impressed. The zoom lens on the XS is also very nice and something that I use frequently (for more than just portrait mode). The 11 Pro has a zoom lens but the 11 does not (only regular and ultra wide). Given what you stated about size of the phone I would seriously consider the 11 Pro or picking up a XS on sale.

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA

My wife is the exact same way! She hates my iPad Pro, and loves only a home button. So I bought her a iPhone 8. Which is still one hell of a iPhone even in 2019 lol.

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
Yes it is but now the 11 offers portrait mode for everything (not just humana like the XR) and the night mode, that is a deal breaker if it works as they said...
Gotcha, I’d be all about the 11 if it had a telephoto lens. I’ve been a fan since the 7+. That was why I didn’t get the XR last year and instead went with my Max coming from my 8+
[doublepost=1568496641][/doublepost]
My wife is the exact same way! She hates my iPad Pro, and loves only a home button. So I bought her a iPhone 8. Which is still one hell of a iPhone even in 2019 lol.
It definitely is a great phone even in 2019. LOL.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
I was thinking of upgrading my 8+ to an 11 but discovered they took away the telephoto lens and replaced with another wide.

Since I use my camera a lot, this is a deal breaker.

MadCar

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2014
The internet
I was thinking of upgrading my 8+ to an 11 but discovered they took away the telephoto lens and replaced with another wide.

Since I use my camera a lot, this is a deal breaker.

I've got the same dilemma. The wife also has an XR for comparison.

As others have said the XR / 11 is a bit of a chubster comparing the two and the 8+ is smaller in some dimensions. The 8+ certainly seems better in my hands. Its why I've been considering moving to a Pro rather than the 11 but I'm going to see what they feel like.

The 8+ is still really quick and with great battery life so I might just upgrade next year. Having spent £950 on the 256Gb 8+ I'm not sure I want to spend more again so soon on another phone. I have the money but just think we have lost all reality spending sooo much on what is becoming something we throw away after a few years.

musicman0725

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2007
I can’t use oled due to PWM.

Hope next year they push the 8 with the A12 chip and the XR cam.

Definitely a possibility. There was a rumor awhile back that the SE would be something like an iPhone X in the body of an iPhone 8.

The camera sensor in the XR is still an upgrade over the 8/8+ in low light. I would imagine the 11 is even better especially with night mode.

musicman0725

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2007
The 8+ has 1080p, 5.5 display, longer battery life, portrait mode, 2x optical zoom and more Ram than the 8

Didn’t realize 8+ had portrait mode. I thought it was exclusive to iPhone X. Battery life of 8+ is better than 8 and the zoom lens is definitely nice. Still 8+ isn’t a worthwhile upgrade coming from an 8 now that the iPhone 11/Pro is available and prices of XS/XR are reduced.

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
Didn’t realize 8+ had portrait mode. I thought it was exclusive to iPhone X. Battery life of 8+ is better than 8 and the zoom lens is definitely nice. Still 8+ isn’t a worthwhile upgrade coming from an 8 now that the iPhone 11/Pro is available and prices of XS/XR are reduced.
Yes, the 7+ also has portrait mode. It depends on how much they want to spend. If they trade in their 8 for $220 towards an 8+ 128gb, the total price would be $379. But if they don't like the XR or 11 and can't use OLED, then what choice is left? The 8+ is better than the 8 for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: musicman0725

VertPin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2015

If you want better photos in low light, then it’s a no brainer with the 11.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.