Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Soulflower

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2011
I have an 80 gb iPod (5th generation Late 2006). Model No is MA448LL which I believe is a 5.5. It has been in a case, hardly ever used and in mint condition with very light scratches. The front screen is mostly scratch free.

How much might I be able to sell it for and where would be the best place to sell it? Many thanks for any information.

Attachments

• IMG_2812.jpeg
    IMG_2812.jpeg
    421.4 KB · Views: 1,301
  • IMG_2808.jpeg
    IMG_2808.jpeg
    560 KB · Views: 283
Reactions: bwillwall

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
You can check eBay, Craig's List, and some other seller/buyer sites to see what that particular iPod sells for. Just be careful where you sell it and to whom. Be cautious and don't get ripped off. ;)

Soulflower

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2011
You can check eBay, Craig's List, and some other seller/buyer sites to see what that particular iPod sells for. Just be careful where you sell it and to whom. Be cautious and don't get ripped off. ;)
That's exactly why I asked here. I'm not sure there is a demand for them anymore but I want to be cautious. Thank you.

philden

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
These are quite sought after. On Ebay they sell for $70-$100 or so. Yours is in better condition than most.

Michaelman11

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2020
Hey! So yeah, I collect and mod/refurbish these generation of ipod classics. You've got the holy grail of 5.5 generations tbh. Yours look to be in mint shape, never opened before. It's all original. The ma448ll (80gb in white) motherboard is the harder one to find, because it has 64MB of ram. Compared to the earlier boards, which had 32MB. Honestly, I would pay a good $180-200 for it. Considering the condition and the motherboard matching up with the serial number on the back. You might think that's overpriced. But I would totally pay for it. And if I would, I'm sure there are hundreds of other ipod modders/collectors who would like an original beast like that one in the shape that it is in. Just advertise it as (iPod Video 5.5 Gen 80gb all original, mint shape) and you'll definitely trigger people searches saves for this Gen of ipod. If it don't sell at first, drop the price to $140. There is a YouTube you recently just started, and he takes apart ipods and he's pretty funny. That would have a lot to do with the rise of these ipods. Plus this Gen has the best sounding Digital to analog converter on board too!

Michaelman11

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2020
Legit just seen a modded ipod with that same motherboard and 256gb SD card installed with new battery sell for $250 on ebay. People go crazy for this certain model just because of how good it sounds and how easy it is to open these up and change parts out

Michaelman11

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2020
Screenshot_20200819-191001.png
This is the only one I can find right now that doesn't appear to be modded or refurbished by seller. So yeah. Yours would probably sell quick

Soulflower

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2011
Would you be interested in buying it? I did buy this used but it was years ago. How can I be sure that it hasn't been modified and is all original. Thanks so much for the helpful information.

Reactions: ThatAtomicPoet

Michaelman11

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2020
Oh no tbh, I've got plenty of ipods that I've modded myself that I use daily haha. But thank you anyways. I would rather someone else have the opportunity to get one of these. But as of checking to make sure it's not modded. I would go to the settings and then go to about and check to see if the serial number matches what is on the back cover. After that, I would check both sides of the ipod for any rough ridges, indentations or scratches going downwards on the metal back plate. To open it, you have to take a metal spudger and push in and down where the faceplate and backplate meet to push in pins that connect the faceplate to the rear plate. Most newbies slip and scratch the metal real plate, or leave indentations in the place faceplate

klwalker2

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2022
My ipod (5th Generation) has this weird icon on the very left, towards the top third of the screen. Does anyone know what it means? I looked elsewhere and couldn't find the answer.

Thanks in advance.

Kyle

Attachments

• 20221027_105801.jpg
    20221027_105801.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 81

philden

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
My ipod (5th Generation) has this weird icon on the very left, towards the top third of the screen. Does anyone know what it means? I looked elsewhere and couldn't find the answer.

Thanks in advance.

Kyle
That's not an icon, it's a sign of a problem. It could be a swollen battery pressing against that part of the display from behind, or a problem with the display itself.

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
I have an 80 gb iPod (5th generation Late 2006). Model No is MA448LL which I believe is a 5.5. It has been in a case, hardly ever used and in mint condition with very light scratches. The front screen is mostly scratch free.

How much might I be able to sell it for and where would be the best place to sell it? Many thanks for any information.
Just some hints for advertising your iPod:
- The 5.5 is also sometimes referred to as the "iPod 5th Gen Enhanced" (it has a Search function for music and a better/brighter screen)
- Your 80 GB version contains 64 MB of RAM (the 30 GB version only has 32 MB). This increases the maximum number of tracks from ~20.000 to ~50.000. This is important for buyers who upgrade the internal HDD to high-capacity microSD(s) via an adapter.
- It is the last iPod Classic with a Wolfson DAC (Digital-to-Analog Converter) which is known to deliver the best audio quality (the successors use Cirrus Logic)

Good luck!

EDIT: Nevermind, I overlooked the thread was hijacked and the year of the initial OP is 2020.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slix and stiligFox
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.