Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tuifsams

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2023
Just received an iPad Pro Gen 5 12.9" and am concerned about the drain speed of the battery as it is significantly worse than what I was working with before on an iPad Gen 6. While I knew it was possible I would lose some time, this was hours.
It's the first time i charged the device (the block I plugged it in with melted at ~82% which was a whole other issue) and it retained battery while not in use very well.
The brightness was decently high and low power mode was on, I had YouTube streaming over wifi for a while when I was drawing in Procreate, but the drain from 81% to 5% in a little over 2.5 hours freaked me out.
Attached the last 24 hours battery log.
Is this normal for this device?

Edit: I can't seem to get the iPad to charge now so something may be very wrong with the battery, still curious to know about the original question.
Edit 2: Force restarted and it now appears to be charging.
Edit 3: Battery capacity claims to be at 97%

Attachments

• IMG_3951.jpeg
    IMG_3951.jpeg
    598.6 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022
Just received an iPad Pro Gen 5 12.9" and am concerned about the drain speed of the battery as it is significantly worse than what I was working with before on an iPad Gen 6. While I knew it was possible I would lose some time, this was hours.
It's the first time i charged the device (the block I plugged it in with melted at ~82% which was a whole other issue) and it retained battery while not in use very well.
The brightness was decently high and low power mode was on, I had YouTube streaming over wifi for a while when I was drawing in Procreate, but the drain from 81% to 5% in a little over 2.5 hours freaked me out.
Attached the last 24 hours battery log.
Is this normal for this device?

Edit: I can't seem to get the iPad to charge now so something may be very wrong with the battery, still curious to know about the original question.
Edit 2: Force restarted and it now appears to be charging.

Touch the end of the graph where the battery is draining and see what apps are causing the battery drain during that period.

tuifsams

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2023
Touch the end of the graph where the battery is draining and see what apps are causing the battery drain during that period.
Thanks for the reply,

It's roughly 70% Procreate and the rest YouTube.
I know -what- apps are using power, my concern is how fast it's draining. My last iPad could easily go 4-5 hours doing the same thing running the same OS and software despite being years older.
If that's standard for this model I guess I'll just live with it, but my concern is that the battery is not functioning as well as it could be.

Reactions: Reggaenald

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Is it brand new...?
If it is a used model, it could have been used extensively, thus the battery drain.
Can you connect it to a Mac to check battery health?

tuifsams

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2023
Is it brand new...?
If it is a used model, it could have been used extensively, thus the battery drain.
Can you connect it to a Mac to check battery health?
I believe it's refurbished. I don't have a Mac but this had me googling how to check battery health (it's hidden in a file in settings) so I was able to find it anyway.
The device claims to be at 97% it's original battery capacity.

Reactions: Reggaenald

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
I believe it's refurbished. I don't have a Mac but this had me googling how to check battery health (it's hidden in a file in settings) so I was able to find it anyway.
The device claims to be at 97% it's original battery capacity.
FYI my (almost) 8 year old iPad Pro is at 81.3% capacity (just checked in TechTool Pro).
I have always had brightness at about 30%.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
iPad battery can go down quite quickly if you use heavy applications with moderate or high brightness. So your battery status seems normal to me. If iPad goes down to 5% no matter what you do though, something must have gone horribly wrong.

Reactions: MarkC426

Kokson

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2023
Hey . I have same question .. i have new ipad pro 12.9.. bought it half year ago . Im using it only for drawing or playing music when im tattooing. When i listen a yt on wifi battery goes from 100% to 0 in 4 hours. When im using procreate batery goes from 100% to 0 in 65 min ! Thats insane! Yea i use high brightness .. it is normal to drain battery so fast???

AJB1971

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2011
I’ve experienced significant battery degradation on a few iPads in the past. The problem seemed to occur after upgrading to a newer version of the operating system.

Erasing the iPad and restoring from an iCloud backup didn’t cure the problem; it was as if the backup had become corrupted. Setting the iPad up as a new device and installing the same apps that I had previously used cured the problem.

NastyMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
Hey . I have same question .. i have new ipad pro 12.9.. bought it half year ago . Im using it only for drawing or playing music when im tattooing. When i listen a yt on wifi battery goes from 100% to 0 in 4 hours. When im using procreate batery goes from 100% to 0 in 65 min ! Thats insane! Yea i use high brightness .. it is normal to drain battery so fast???
Just as an experiment try dropping your brightness to say.. 50% and see how quickly it drains then. You may not like it at that brightness but if it is that draining the battery then at least you know it is the brightness and not something else.

I had my IPP at full brightness for about 2 years.. was a revelation when I dropped it 😀 in my defence my kids play games on it and put it back to full every time.. really annoying!!

Reactions: Shirasaki

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Just as an experiment try dropping your brightness to say.. 50% and see how quickly it drains then. You may not like it at that brightness but if it is that draining the battery then at least you know it is the brightness and not something else.

I had my IPP at full brightness for about 2 years.. was a revelation when I dropped it 😀 in my defence my kids play games on it and put it back to full every time.. really annoying!!
Full brightness is the #1 battery killer on any iOS device, even when they’re on their original iOS versions, which have the best battery life.

I was able to get around 14 hours with light use and low brightness on my 9.7-inch iPad Pro on iOS 9, before it was forced by apple into iOS 12. Other heavy users who liked to draw with Procreate with it mentioned that their battery life was bad, that they barely got 3.5-4 hours on Procreate... and they were on iOS 9, but they used it with full brightness. No iOS device will get you good battery life if you use it heavily enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.