Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BenjaminWeir

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Hello!!! I am new to buying Macs on eBay and I found this deal that looks like it can be a steal for me but I wanted some advice form the experts lol Its for a 16inch macbook pro which I would love since I have an old 17incher from 2011 that I adore. Its from Sweden and its from a brand new seller which is a little concerning. The pictures show that it has its original charger and box which is nice but on the last image it has the serial number. I have studied it and every time i try to look it up on apples site i get nothing. Maybe I keep making the digits wrong but I swear im getting it right. What do yall think of this? Would you buy it or does it just show up as a red flag because im new to this game :D And if by chance this is just a real rare steal should I jump on it! Thanks for the advice!

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    38.6 KB · Views: 165
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    620.4 KB · Views: 105
  • s-l1600.png
    s-l1600.png
    757.3 KB · Views: 110

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
its from a brand new seller which is a little concerning.
I buy on eBay , but only from (major) sellers with a long list of 100% positive feedbacks.
I've had a faulty CPU once and got it replaced without any complications.

Dont buy this MBP , it will very likely safe you from a lot of headaches.

Big Bad D

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2007
France
Hello!!! I am new to buying Macs on eBay and I found this deal that looks like it can be a steal for me but I wanted some advice form the experts lol Its for a 16inch macbook pro which I would love since I have an old 17incher from 2011 that I adore. Its from Sweden and its from a brand new seller which is a little concerning. The pictures show that it has its original charger and box which is nice but on the last image it has the serial number. I have studied it and every time i try to look it up on apples site i get nothing. Maybe I keep making the digits wrong but I swear im getting it right. What do yall think of this? Would you buy it or does it just show up as a red flag because im new to this game :D And if by chance this is just a real rare steal should I jump on it! Thanks for the advice!
I would not trust this. It seems far too good to be true and presumably the new seller has no reliable feedback history? Bottom line is: are you willing to take a risk and lose this money, or at least have a very difficult time to get it back, if all goes wrong?

TechRunner

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2016
SW Florida, US
Remember the old adage, "If it seems to good to be true, it probably is"? I'm pretty sure that's the case here. Not worth the risk, as others have said.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I agree with posters above.
Sumthin' ain't right here.

If you want something that isn't going to cause you headaches, buy from a reputable source.
This can be particularly true with Macs.

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
looks like a scam. New user and all. You'll likely get your money back but that's not the point here. Their main goal is likely to sell your personal information to other scammers

If you "fall" for this scam, they will think you are potentially gullible for other kinds of scam so you'll likely get a ton of scam attempts

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I kind of doubt it's legitimate, even though it is in line with what a machine someone has used for the past 2 years should in fact cost. Sometimes Apple stuff gets marked up too high. I personally wouldn't take a chance on any seller without a long list of feedback, as ebay is a cesspool. I would also tell you, that model probably won't be supported more than a couple more years.

Also also, if you can't look up the serial displayed, don't buy it under any circumstances.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.