Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shadowfax0

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2002
This seems to be the next thing. Western Digital has a 200 GB ATA drive out now, and the only thing is that OS X.1 can't support them, but Jaguar can. So I'm thinking on the next revision of the Xserve, we will see the option of up to 800 GB of storage on 1U, it makes sense in my eyes. That'd be killer, so close to one Terabyte in 1U, the competition wouldn't be able to compare.

shadowfax0

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2002
I don't know when they'd revise the Xserves, being that they are still pretty new on the scene. But I figure they'll upgrade them to 2x 1.25 G4's when we get the next powermac revision, heck, maybe they'll even introduce a lower end Xserve for school and stuff that's a 2x 867 G4. And I think you're right with the ATA/133, I think they *could* be supported with a lower protocol, but ATA/133 goes at 133 Mb/sec, so say, ATA/66 goes at 66 Mb/sec, so it would take ages to write the whole drive, it would probably be in Apple's best interest to (whenever they do) upgrade the Xserve with a higher protocol, I think that'd make sense (so the new drive modules, the theorectical 200 GB ones that is, will work with older Xserves, just not quite as fast).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.