Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gpapava

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2006
Hello :D
Why apple uses 667MHz DDR2 ECC fully-buffered DIMM (FB-DIMM) memory and not uses 800MHz bus speed? I mean 800MHz is faster and mac pro is supposed
to be "the beast" :eek:
And i ve read in forums that fully-buffered DIMM actually "slows" the mac pro.
Is that true?

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
It uses 667 because that is what Intel rates the chipset at, just like the iMac and Macbooks. The Mac pro is slowed down because of the buffering, not the speed of the memory itself.

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
So when the new chipsets arrive, will they handle 800Mhz memory?

Depends on how you define new :) Some time in the future they will. In reality they more than likely can handle 800MHz RAM at the moment but i don't think they'll support it for a while.

gpapava

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2006
It uses 667 because that is what Intel rates the chipset at, just like the iMac and Macbooks. The Mac pro is slowed down because of the buffering, not the speed of the memory itself.

If mac pro is slowed down because of the buffering then why they put that kind of memory?:confused:

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
If mac pro is slowed down because of the buffering then why they put that kind of memory?:confused:

It has a stupidly low error generating factor, the RAM in your computer and mine generates tiny errors as its working, normally this isn't much of an issue but when your doing massive important calculations any mistake can ruin hours of work.

Plus the Mac Pro is designed to run loads of very demanding programs at the same time, much more than a normal Mac.

Reasons why its so damned expensive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.