Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
good idea - hope You are ok with international shipping :)
ps. You can also just share price and put list of users that paid

I'm ok with international. Does anyone have experience to find the best harmonized code to use for international shipping?

Last edited:

flehman

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2015
I was thinking about when I put them on my website for sale, posting here and it will be a first come first serve basis unless people have other ideas? I won't be posting them until the end of the week most likely, as I'm waiting on shipping supplies.

What do you think is good?

I’m fine with whatever process you want to follow. You are the person fielding all the orders and/or PMs and I just want to make sure to be polite about it.

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Here is the product webpage: https://subtle.design/products/80211ac

I haven't listed inventory yet (hopefully by the weekend when I receive shipping supplies).

I want everyone who really wants one to be ready. Orders will be limited to two per buyer; if someone trys to buy three or more, I will cancel all but two.

Reactions: mbosse

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
I have the 13 inch macbook, so I should better wait?

I believe I mentioned this already:

Update for 13" MacBook Pro users: I currently don't recommend buying the upgrade when it launches due to the modifications required. The 13" MacBook Pro requires the removal of the subwoofer, modification of the bottom lid and original AirPort bracket (as described in detail with photos in this thread).

I will be working on a 13" MacBook Pro solution that will hopefully require no removal of the subwoofer and grinding of the bottom lid.

The AirPort bracket will still need modified, but that is very easy to do. The only purpose of this is to retain the bottom lid screw mounting point, which is integrated into the AirPort bracket. See the post here as to what I'm talking about: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...y-here-for-cmbps.2171056/page-4#post-27290649

The reason why I'm posting this is because I would dislike for someone to buy the upgrade for their 13" MacBook Pro and then when I come out with the better solution, be upset after they cut into their bottom lid and removed their subwoofer.

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
Wow, I had no idea somebody else was working on something like this LOL. Good thinking to use the iMac card, as that will provide the best OS X support, as well as of course having the correct U.FL connectors (although I did actually find some U.FL connector adapters to convert the small ones on the NGFF card to the larger ones needed for the MBP's antenna cables). I've pretty much abandoned this project, as I don't think good throughput would be achievable when using a PCIe switch to split a single X1 lane to two devices. Anyways, I'm glad to see this project coming to light!

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Wow, I had no idea somebody else was working on something like this LOL. Good thinking to use the iMac card, as that will provide the best OS X support, as well as of course having the correct U.FL connectors (although I did actually find some U.FL connector adapters to convert the small ones on the NGFF card to the larger ones needed for the MBP's antenna cables). I've pretty much abandoned this project, as I don't think good throughput would be achievable when using a PCIe switch to split a single X1 lane to two devices. Anyways, I'm glad to see this project coming to light!

Thanks for chiming in! I started work on this back in 2013 and shelved it for nearly half a decade. My original post was here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macbook-pro-802-11ac-upgrade.1521466/page-4#post-18438927

Reactions: brugski and mbosse

race2c

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2019
@troop231 - in reference to your comment about 13in MBP...while no recommended....do you see additional efforts put towards that model or purchase your current card/combo (and diy it)?

Any thoughts?

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
@troop231 - in reference to your comment about 13in MBP...while no recommended....do you see additional efforts put towards that model or purchase your current card/combo (and diy it)?

Any thoughts?

For the 13" model? I have listed all of the modifications required with photos in this thread. No other modifications are necessary.

flehman

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2015
I think I am your second order. Your work is greatly appreciated and I hope these fly off the shelves in recognition of your years of effort. I am only getting 1 for now so that more people get a chance to buy, but if the first batch doesn't sell out or you do a second batch later, I know someone else I would buy a 2nd one for.

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
I think I am your second order. Your work is greatly appreciated and I hope these fly off the shelves in recognition of your years of effort. I am only getting 1 for now so that more people get a chance to buy, but if the first batch doesn't sell out or you do a second batch later, I know someone else I would buy a 2nd one for.

Thank you for the order! Yes, @highvoltage12v beta tested my site and was the first order.

I will try to fulfill orders as quickly as possible. I got a Zebra thermal label printer and packing supplies, and will test each card one more time before I package them up in the ESD safe plastic boxes.

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
For people who have ordered this evening, how was the buying and checkout experience?

mbosse

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2015
Vienna, Austria
Everyone, I have just posted the 802.11ac upgrade now for sale: https://subtle.design/products/80211ac
Just got 2 - thank you very much for this, all the excellent work that went into this fine modification, and also a thanks to @highvoltage12v for the additional input and feedback.

Shopping experience was straightforward (and next time, when I would not enter an expiry date of the past, it would also go through on first try ;-)) - one of the most pleasant experiences (loved the map!).

Best,
Magnus

Reactions: brugski

89legendcoupe

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2015
For people who have ordered this evening, how was the buying and checkout experience?
The buying and checkout experience was easy after I setup google pay. I have a 13" macbook pro and I am fully willing to hack up this computer after buying 2 windows computers this last month and being disappointed.

Reactions: brugski

Mikecall

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2019
I just discovered this thread, and I wish I could've found this sooner than I did, to say thank you for doing the Macbook Gods' work! I've been searching for something like this for a while now, for my 13' and the only thing, I find is the QuickerTek uCards, which if you ask me comes off as a giant scam, in the first place. Best of luck with making one for the 13', hopefully its a real soon thing, that doesn't involve me having to remove any additional parts from my Mac!

Reactions: mbosse

ScreenSavers

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2016
Bloomingdale, GA
Ok... so I have a mid 2010 17” MacBook Pro running a patched version of Mojave. Will this work for me? I’d love to get ac WiFi on this thing. I am very experienced with repair and disassemble, just don’t know if the Mojave patcher will affect it.

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Ok... so I have a mid 2010 17” MacBook Pro running a patched version of Mojave. Will this work for me? I’d love to get ac WiFi on this thing. I am very experienced with repair and disassemble, just don’t know if the Mojave patcher will affect it.

Unfortunately, I have not had a 17" beta tester yet, so you would be the first to find out. Perhaps @flehman can chime in on this one.

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
All orders since last night have been tested, packaged, and labeled and will be dropped off at the post office within the next hour or so.

Reactions: brugski and mbosse
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.