Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
iDisk doesn't work?

I hope to God the issue is that it requires changes on the server side which Apple has not cut over to yet.

idisk historically has sucked, and the thought of it being worse is mind boggling.

Plus, the press will hammer Apple.

Tiger feels mighty rushed to me. Probably needed another few months, but they are shipping it anyhow to sell the pro apps which require it.

My prediction: months of complaining about the bugs...

ncoffey

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2005
Yeah as I see it there's no hurry for people to upgrade to it. The only issue would be computers that come pre-installed with it.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
10.3.0 was fine though wasn't it? I've got faith in the Apple engineers to get it up to speed by whenever it's released.

I'm still kinda in two minds about updating though. I don't know whether I should buy 10.4 or just get a completely new system with it pre-installed. So tempting...

BTW, how many 'B' releases until the final? Anyone got any ideas?

iindigo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco, CA
mad jew said:
10.3.0 was fine though wasn't it? I've got faith in the Apple engineers to get it up to speed by whenever it's released.

Well, 10.3.0 did have a few major bugs, but they were mostly in things most normal people don't use everyday. The main problem was the whole FileVault deal...

I do agree in that I have faith in them though - remember, these are Apple's developers, not Microsoft's ;)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
iindigo said:
Well, 10.3.0 did have a few major bugs, but they were mostly in things most normal people don't use everyday. The main problem was the whole FileVault deal...

I do agree in that I have faith in them though - remember, these are Apple's developers, not Microsoft's ;)

:eek: Yeah thanks, I forgot about the FileVault thing... And the FW800 external drives thing... OK, I stand corrected! :eek:

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
It seems that most people who are saying it is rushed are not even testing it. There are only a handful of bugs left and those are on the latest seed which I am sure is surpassed by internal builds.

Slightly off-topic - Will alot of people do upgrade installs or new installs? I'm curious if an archive install achieves the same thing as a clean install (format).

Anarchy99

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2003
CA
why are you people worried if the released it now mostlikey it would be good to go remember 8a414 is the new build for developers but apple has internal builds atleast 2 builds ahead of us

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
patseguin said:
Slightly off-topic - Will alot of people do upgrade installs or new installs? I'm curious if an archive install achieves the same thing as a clean install (format).

Clean Install: I get some kind of sick pleasure from reinstalling everything and starting from scratch. :)

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
Freg3000 said:
Clean Install: I get some kind of sick pleasure from reinstalling everything and starting from scratch. :)

LOL I hear ya totally. I think that is remnant from the Windows world though. I am just wondering because my G5 came with Jaguar and upgraded a few Panther betas over it and then Panther final over that. I'm just wondering if there is extra junk that I would get rid of by clean installing Tiger. I did an archive and install on my FW drive and Tiger is running extremely fast.

EDIT: Do they seed the GM to us or send out DVD?

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
patseguin said:
LOL I hear ya totally. I think that is remnant from the Windows world though. I am just wondering because my G5 came with Jaguar and upgraded a few Panther betas over it and then Panther final over that. I'm just wondering if there is extra junk that I would get rid of by clean installing Tiger. I did an archive and install on my FW drive and Tiger is running extremely fast.

EDIT: Do they seed the GM to us or send out DVD?
They seed the GM. At least they did for Panther. Of course, you really don't know *for sure* that it is the GM until someone gets the retail version and tells us what the build number is. With Panther, we had 7B85 just before Apple announced it (started the countdown), which was a bout 2 weeks before it was available in the stores.

Tiger has been a lot different, though. The build numbers have simply incremented (no new branch, A -> B), and there have been a lot fewer seeds with a lot more time between seeds.

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
I wonder if I could do a clean install of the beta on my main drive and then just do an archive and install when the GM comes out. I definitely think it is ready for prime-time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.