Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noSpeed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Hi all,

I've decided on a 13 inch 2019 MBP. Trying to decide now between 8GB and 16GB RAM. As I said in my prior post, the most taxing thing I think I'll be doing is maybe some occasional gaming. Maybe. Will 8GB be enough, or do I need to get 16GB?

Thanks

doitdada

Suspended
Oct 14, 2013
You will need to buy the 32GB to futureproof. It may be the last computer I will ever buy. Copy+paste will never feel more snappy.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
You will need to buy the 32GB to futureproof. It may be the last computer I will ever buy. Copy+paste will never feel more snappy.

The OP said he had settled on a 13" MBP. The 13" MBP maxes out at 16GB. If he was talking about a 15" MBP, that'd be a totally different story.

To the OP: Get 16GB. You might not need it, but it will be there just in case (seeing as you can't upgrade it after the fact) and it will likely future proof your machine a bit.

An (unfortunately) good rule of thumb with Apple Macs: If you can't upgrade the RAM after the fact, max it out (or, in the case of something like an iMac Pro get it as high as you can afford and/or one amount larger than you think you will need). Macs that you can upgrade the RAM on are the Mac Pro and the non-Pro 27" iMac (and technically the new Mac minis, but it's a real pain and might void your warranty).

doitdada

Suspended
Oct 14, 2013
Mac Pro and the non-Pro 27" iMac (and technically the new Mac minis, but it's a real pain and might void your warranty).

Most people I know are better without a computer, but I guess everybody needs to learn how to code.

Spudlicious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2015
Bedfordshire, England
Hi all,

I've decided on a 13 inch 2019 MBP. Trying to decide now between 8GB and 16GB RAM. As I said in my prior post, the most taxing thing I think I'll be doing is maybe some occasional gaming. Maybe. Will 8GB be enough, or do I need to get 16GB?

Thanks

I would suggest 16GB for the non-logical reason that if you settle for 8GB you'll be wondering if the computer would have just a little more snap crackle and pop sometimes if only it had more RAM. Yes, it makes a pricey purchase a bit more painful, but you're never shopping in the bargain basement when you buy Apple. Hope you enjoy the new MBP:)

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Personally if you don't use a lot of pro apps, i would get 8GB. My 2012 iMac has 16GB Ram and it never uses 16GB. Using activity monitor shows i'm always in the green area, which is why when i finally took the plunge and purchased a 2019 Macbook Pro 13" yesterday, i opted for the base model (with 512GB SSD) and 8GB Ram.

Sometimes it sounds like a good idea to get more, but unless you need it (which you would know if you did), it can just be a waste.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Sometimes it sounds like a good idea to get more, but unless you need it (which you would know if you did), it can just be a waste.

Agree with this.
I always overspec to future proof, but always end up not needing it!

Reactions: owbp

noSpeed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Thanks guys. Good stuff to think about on either side of the coin. I've never used a SSD before, so I'm looking forward to some great performance from this laptop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.