Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I'm looking to upgrade my new Mac Pro. It comes with 16GB of RAM and that's not enough. I'm will definitely be doubling it to 32GB. I see they sell 8GB sticks in both unbuffered and registered varieties.

I don't need 64GB, so I would think going there right now wouldn't be good value.

Obviously I would upgrade to the 16GB stuff in the future and since I need registered sticks in those, would it be in my best interest to get registered 8GB sticks now?

So in future I would have 48GB (2x16GB + 2x8GB) which is more than sufficient.

Instead of whether or not the 8GB registered memory works, would I have issues with performance?

EDIT: Oh, why do I bother asking this. I'll just get the 64GB and don't worry about this anymore. It's only like $540.

Last edited:

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Since your in Shanghai why not get this
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.11.A9FI8c&id=39269404875&ns=1#detail

2X32GB which leaves you room to upgrade in future

I already got the 4x16GB modules. It's working great.

As for the one you posted, it's got a clip on heatspreader; not sure it would work in the Mac Pro due to clearance issues.

As for Taobao... it's only good if you have a credit card, and they don't really issue credit cards to foreigners ;)

But I was able to get a friend to buy the set for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.