Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mrsaxomaphone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2016
Sydney Australia
Hi, I currently own a 2019 MacBook Pro with 8tb of SSD. I am a music composer and have a great deal of my samples and sessions on the drive. It's great not having drives hanging off and failing!! (Its happened many times)

I am wishing to upgrade this machine now to the new M3 chip but not sure about dropping the ridiculous $'s on the 8TB drive. I appreciate its speed etc, but after four years of my current machine, I cant actually use my current 8tb drive moving forward. Its a waste!

So,...I"m thinking of spec'ing out a new M3 to the max and getting say just a 1TB internal drive and rather spending the $'s on a portable 8tb external fast one (Bus powered!!) so that in 4 or 5 years when I upgrade the machine again, I can still use the drive!

I appreciate that the new drives are stooooopidly fast but I don't need a drive to be lighting speed,...

Help me!! Any suggestions? Thank you all! I'm looking here https://www.owc.com/solutions/envoy-pro-fx
but only 4TB

TIA

Hylton

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.