Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
Hi, it's me again with my new iPad Air 2. Coming from Android tablet speaking, I'm not used to so many system upgrades so I'm still hesitating a lot I can see that by myself. My tablet came with 8.4 installer. I was "summoned" to upgrade to 9.1. which I did. I am nearly harrassed to upgrade to 9.2. And now I read there is a 9.2.1 update and I read there will be soon 9.3 What am i to do? Everything works fine, at least that's what i Think, with 9.1. So many contradictory stories on the Web about 9.2. Cues please. How does 9.2. runs on iPad Air 2? Smoother, faster. Can Air 2 users share their experience please? If so, can I go from 9.2 to 9.2.1 or wouldn't it be simpler to wait until 9.3 is out for public use. Thanks. I'm a fast learner.

techguy9

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2014
Hi, it's me again with my new iPad Air 2. Coming from Android tablet speaking, I'm not used to so many system upgrades so I'm still hesitating a lot I can see that by myself. My tablet came with 8.4 installer. I was "summoned" to upgrade to 9.1. which I did. I am nearly harrassed to upgrade to 9.2. And now I read there is a 9.2.1 update and I read there will be soon 9.3 What am i to do? Everything works fine, at least that's what i Think, with 9.1. So many contradictory stories on the Web about 9.2. Cues please. How does 9.2. runs on iPad Air 2? Smoother, faster. Can Air 2 users share their experience please? If so, can I go from 9.2 to 9.2.1 or wouldn't it be simpler to wait until 9.3 is out for public use. Thanks. I'm a fast learner.
I own an iPad Air 2 (Typing on this BTW), for beginners like you, just update to iOS 9.2. Had absolutely zero issues with that version and it's a dream on the Air 2 so I advise you to update. iOS 9.2.1 and 9.3 are currently in beta so they are technically not released to the public yet so you don't have to worry about that yet. Hope that helps!

Reactions: HansumKingtut

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
OP, .X and .X.X updates are always safe. It's the X.0 updates that you gotta look out for.
THIS THIS THIS. Updating to 9.1, 9.2, 9.2.1 when you are already on iOS 9 for example brings very little risk. Most of the time these updates improve things rather than make them worse.

However updating to 10.0 or something, or looking back, going from 7.1.2 to 8.0 is much much more risky. I have faced performance issues and many bugs every single time I've updated to an X.0 update, 4.0, 7.0, 8.0, and 9.0 in my case.

I started my iOS journey in the iPhone OS 3 days, with an iPod touch 2nd gen. With that I went to iOS 4, hugely regretted it as my device was slowed to a crawl, but I was forced to live with it until the iPod 5 came out. I got the iPod 5 and it came with iOS 6. From there I went to 7.0 and saw issues. Got an iPad mini 2 which had the most current SoC at the time. That even had issues with 7.0, constant springboard crashes and awful UI bugs and slowdowns. By 7.1.2 things were pretty great, but I updated to 8.0 and suffered many bugs and performance issues for months again until about iOS 8.3. Also got an iPhone 6 during that time and it was pretty good with iOS 8 aside from the bugs. Then I updated both my iPhone 6 and iPad mini 2 to iOS 9 and I have had performance issues ever since, 9.3 however seems to be making good improvements, and 9.2 already did so as well. Still more work to be done though.

See the cycle? If you can tolerate waiting on those big X.0 updates, do it. Based on the cycle Apple is following now with many X.X updates, I'd wait till X.2 or X.3 before updating. Updating to X.X or X.X.X updates are fine as long as it's the same "main version" like 5.0 to 5.1 or 6.0 to 6.1 is fine. 5.1 to 6.1 might be a little more risky however.

Reactions: philipyoungg

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
The updates are quick and little changes. You should perform each update as it's released to ensure you have the latest security and bug fixes.

I typically hit the update button as I'm going to bed.

alphonseM

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2014
Go for it. Just install them all without hesitation. The updates are the main reason I even have an iPhone and not something android based.

rbart

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2013
France
Install official updates and forget beta versions except if you absolutely need to test new feautures or if you are a developer.
For normal usage, stay with official updates.
And as other people say, x.0 update can be risky on old hardware, but once you have installed a major release, all small updates bring enhancements.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012

There are no reasons to hesitate on upgrading. New features, bug fixes, performance updates are all good things. When any of them come out, just upgrade.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
People update because they want the features,..or apps that support certain version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.