Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JonasCalhoun

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
Hello, I have an iPad 3 with iOS 9.3.5, an iPhone 6 running iOS 10.2.1, and a Mac running Sierra. Ever since upgrading the iPad to 9.3.5, iBooks hasn't run very well. It crashes after opening any book, and none of my non-apple books are visible (PDFs and some Oreilly ePubs). Probably two separate issues.

1) missing books. All files can be seen in my iPhone, and iBooks on my Mac. Uploading and downloading books on those devices works fine. However, on the iPad, they aren't visible. Signing out of iCloud and signing back in sometimes gets some books to show up, but they can't be downloaded. And trying to side load them using iTunes doesn't work either--iTunes doesn't show them in the 'books' screen either. Currently the only way I can add books to iBooks on the iPad is to email them, use iCloud Drive, or some other program and then try 'open in iBooks".

2) iBooks on the iPad crashes a few minutes after opening a book. It doesn't seem to matter if it's an ePub or a PDF.

I can handle sending the books to myself, although I'd really like to be able to use iCloud, but iBooks crashing is killing me. Any ideas? It's an old iPad, but except for this, works perfectly for my needs. I'm even open to suggestions of other ePub and PDF readers. Restarting, restoring, and reloading have all been tried to no avail.

Thanks,
Dan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.