Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nzreg

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2009
Does anyone have experience of 9.3 on the iPad 3 ?
I am currently on iOS 7 and wonder if it's ok to upgrade.
Thanks in advance.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
Does anyone have experience of 9.3 on the iPad 3 ?
I am currently on iOS 7 and wonder if it's ok to upgrade.
Thanks in advance.
It's real bad on the iPad 3, like punishingly bad. I upgraded to 9.3 in the hopes a Jailbreak is released so I can downgrade back to iOS 8.4.1

CagdasCizer

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2015
I have been using it since the first beta. Its far better than any other release after 8.0 (yes from a year ago) but nowhere near like 6.0 or 7.0. I dont think you should upgrade. I wanna break that tablet everytime I do something with it.

humar

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2012
Italy
This last upgrade made my iPad usable again. 9.2.1 was really really slow and stuttering.it's better now. Of course it's not iOS 6 but I giant step forward. Try to remember that we own a 4 years old model..

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
My favorite OS on my cellular 64GB iPad 3 was/is 7.1.2, however, 9.3 is very close in usability for me. I performed a clean install of 9.2.1 and wasn't fond of my iPad on that OS so I put it in a box until yesterday. I did an OTA update, and am pretty happy with it so far with just email and light surfing so far. Surfing the web is a bit slow but it seems to be related to fetching of ads. I turned off most of my iCloud service synching as I don't need most of it (including Safari's data), but I do that on all of my Macs anyway - sync only what's necessary over the "cloud".

As a standalone device - no need to coordinate it with the rest of my ecosystem, I'd likely stay on 7.1.2. Since I need to coordinate a few services - email, Creative Cloud, MS Office - 9.3 is the nicest iOS version on this heavy beast, by a country mile. I own an Air 2 to compare it to, too... ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.