Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twistedlegato

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
Just saw that on Digg.

I actually dont think it's bad at all because his father is not pushing him.

The kid is also a good school student and drawer and plays the violen. He does tons of normal things for kids his age.

He even says he somtimes gets bored of video games.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
I was playing games pretty young... but that was when the most violent stuff was QBert, Pac Man and Defender.

I can't imagine letting my 2 year old daughter play Halo or any other violent first person shooter game. The worst she's ever seen is Lego Star Wars II characters shooting... to which she commented "those people aren't being nice" (to which I agreed, and then turned it off).

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I was a local Turrican speedrunner champion when I was about 7-9 or so. :D

gco212

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2004
Philadelphia
Meh, he's nine. Let him play violent games. At that point, I was playing Golden Eye pretty frequently, as was just about everyone I know. And not one of us are murders yet! :rolleyes:

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
Article says that the parental controls are "on"...

I believe that's for when he plays online with other people, he won't hear stupid asses yelling out racials slurs in ignorant manners for no reason.

I don't see anything wrong with playing videogames like that. I know I was like that at his age too (no tournies, but addicted). I probably started as soon as I could pick up a controller. Sure NES didn't have realistic grpahics like the 360, but how realistic can a game like halo be? The parent discussed the difference between reality and fiction. He's 9 now, and the fact that he's still alive with no major limbs missing, he hasn't tried to imitate crazy game moves to the extreme.

He's just a kid doin' what he likes, and he's damn good at it. This whole discerning reality and fiction in kids seems like an overblown topic. As far back as my memory goes, I don't think I've ever thought reality was coming through a screen, movie, tv or videogames. Same thing goes for my brother, and all my cousins. That's just my thought. I think it has to do with the computer age that we've grown up in, we've been constantly exposed to it, but I dunno, I'm not a psychologist or anything.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
The only time I ever got confused was watching Return to Oz as a child. I was about 5 at the time (good memory :D ) and had to keep looking away from the screen to tell myself it wasn't real.
I grew up on Mortal Kombat 1-3 and I'm a total pacifist.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I believe that's for when he plays online with other people, he won't hear stupid asses yelling out racials slurs in ignorant manners for no reason.

I don't see anything wrong with playing videogames like that. I know I was like that at his age too (no tournies, but addicted). I probably started as soon as I could pick up a controller. Sure NES didn't have realistic grpahics like the 360, but how realistic can a game like halo be? The parent discussed the difference between reality and fiction. He's 9 now, and the fact that he's still alive with no major limbs missing, he hasn't tried to imitate crazy game moves to the extreme.

He's just a kid doin' what he likes, and he's damn good at it. This whole discerning reality and fiction in kids seems like an overblown topic. As far back as my memory goes, I don't think I've ever thought reality was coming through a screen, movie, tv or videogames. Same thing goes for my brother, and all my cousins. That's just my thought. I think it has to do with the computer age that we've grown up in, we've been constantly exposed to it, but I dunno, I'm not a psychologist or anything.

Pong wasn't violent (so no violent videogames back then).

But hey, I grew up watching TV - Westerns with people shooting and killing each other. Not to mention Star Trek:TOS where the Red Shirt gets it...

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I think he'll be fine...and damn good vidoe game player. I played Golden Eye on N64 was I was like 7, not as clear as Halo 2, but I was killing humans, vs mostly Aliens and Weird look Men in Halo(some Marine, but not as many humans as Golden Eye has)

That said I still love Pokémon, I'll play that, then RE4. Their games, most wel ground people know that, and he sounds like he knows that.

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
If you people are going to be as narrow minded as to think violent games make violent kids then so be it...

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I'm sure you weren't trying to generalise there, the majority here don't seem to think violent games make for violent kids...

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada
I started playing Half-Life when I was about 8 or 9 (Now almost 16). I'm not some phyco who runs around killing people... Those kids that shoot schools and murder people have serious mental problems prior to those video games.

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
I'm sure you weren't trying to generalise there, the majority here don't seem to think violent games make for violent kids...

of course I'm not generalizing, I'm just saying in case for anyone out there who thinks so.

Sick people are sick people, there have been murderers ever since man was given a conscience (spelling?) and that was way before video games even existed... if anything video games can be one of the most enriching (again spelling? english is mad at me today) experiences ever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.