Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JTPerseus

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2021
Hello,
With the help of good folks like LightBulbFun & Dearthnvader, I've installed OS 10.4.11 and was working on 10.5.8 when all this crap started happening. So along with the G4 card, I have 446MB Ram (more on this in a bit) and 4 HDs...2 running 8.6, one running 9.2.2 and one that has 9.1 and 10.4.11. These are old HDs and the whole system has been sitting around in my basement for like 15 years when I started reading about what I could do with these older PPC machines.

Initially when I started doing this back in late December 2019, I had 256MB Ram and it was 'mixed' with like 3 different types but all were 60ns. So running OS 8 & 9, there were no issues but after I got 10.4.11 installed I started having freezing issues (I also had a G3/500 upgrade card installed but got a G4 about 2.5 weeks ago). After trying several tshooting steps, LightBulbFun said to check ram. Well sure enough I pulled one of my 64MB sticks and the freezing went away...but that introduced another problem which was having only 190MB of ram installed. This was barely enough to run 10.4 let alone 10.5 and I noticed this while running 10.4.11 as the machine was struggling.

So I picked up 4 64MB sticks about a week ago and installed them along with the 190 bringing me up to the 446MB I'm at now. Everything was working good up until a couple of days ago when I was trying to install 10.5.8 and starting getting the SBOD otherwise known as the spinning wheel. The unit wasn't freezing as cursor still moved and initially I could move around and do other things but this changed quickly to just the SBOD and nothing working...but mouse still moved. The keyboard didn't work so I couldn't force quit or shut down so the only option I had left was to hit power button and do a hard shutdown.

This now is starting to happen randomly in 10.4 and so as I was forced to do a hard shut down, I started seeing Error 1 and Error 2 codes on files when I tried to use them. Thinking that I'm now corrupting files and such, I ran applejack last night and it came up with zero issues. Oh yeah, amongst all of this I did reset PRAM and rebuild desktop but it didn't alleviate the 'SBOD' hanging issue.

This morning I decided to install 10.4 on another partition and then the plan was to blow away my previous 10.4.11 installation as well. But upon starting the disk 2 installation and getting about halfway through it (disk 1 installed easily)....the SBOD appeared and it was at this point, I decided to stop any further actions and consult with some of you folks. Continuing to do hard shutdowns is going to kill this 24 year old machine eventually.

My thoughts are along the lines of either having another ram issue or hardware is starting to fail (like HD) or heat. I lean towards ram but last time I had the issue, it would freeze/lockup, not hang with the SBOD. So that's about it. Any thoughts, recommendations or advice appreciated. The 9650 was a great machine back in the day and I was trying to make it a great machine for today.

JTPerseus

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2021
I haven't been able to spend much time on this but a few things have emerged:
1. Not directly related to my issue but interesting to note was that the latest v1.4 Sonnetcache.kext file works for the G4 but causes a KP in the G3. I wanted to figure out how to get the G3 to not KP with any sonnetcache.kext file and as it turns out, the G3 does work with the 'beta' v1.4b1 kext file.....but only up to 10.4.9 (you can't make this stuff up). Once I upgraded to OS 10.4.11, the G3 KP'd. So maybe a solution is to stay at 10.4.9 so the G3 and G4 can be happy as the G4 did work with v1.4b1 as well. I don't notice a big diff between 10.4.9 and 10.4.11 anyway.
2. I installed OS 10.4.0 complete from CDs with no hiccups with G3. So maybe this result pointed directly at the G4 which did SBOD on the second CD and it never recovered. However when I was checking out sonnet kext files in #1, the unit froze with the G4 and this was after I had completely booted into 10.4.11. This points back to a memory problem, as the G3 seems perfectly happy with the memory as I couldn't get the unit to SBOD or freeze.
3. My Arctic Silver paste just arrived today so I'm going to remove old paste and replace with new on G4. My goal is to still load LBF's 10.5.8 image and the G3 won't get it done.

That's it for now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.