Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

csubear

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2003
Here is what i think steve will anouce new G5 at the end of this month or feb. I think that they have them right now, or very soon. Maybe they are trying to sell there current powermac stock out first? I also think that when people get there Xserve G5 it will be faster than 2 Ghz. Well maybe not... but it depends on heat issues. Well my 2 cents

Rustus Maximus

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2003
Apple will announce speed bumped g5's with Superbowl Ad. The Panthers, driven into a frenzy by the surprise announcement will win the Superbowl 970 - 0.

:cool:

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by isgoed
What are you saying?

That it is a fake?

Please explain what you mean.
That they look like the same picture, nothing else has changed in the block diagram but to add 970FX.

Plus if you click and go to Momentums home page, the products are named after cats -- while the eval board is not named on the eval board site.

---

There is breakdown of a dual G5 on the site -- http://www.970eval.com -- down at the bottom pics 1 to 13

McMike

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2003
Warsaw, Poland
It's Big Macs fault

Originally posted by Lanbrown
Because you can't buy a G5 Xserve today, you can order one but the estimated ship time is 6 to 8 weeks. If Apple touted it (90-nm), then the PM crowd would be saying what about us? Where's the faster clock speed? Very soon you will see Apple announce faster G5’s.

Yeah, but hasn't the delay the same cause as the G5 towers had? Meaning the upgrade of the 'Big Mac' to xserves. I could swear there were rumors about it.

Just a thought

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Originally posted by Rustus Maximus
The Panthers, driven into a frenzy by the surprise announcement will win the Superbowl 970 - 0.

Heck, I'd settle for 97-0. Or even 9-7. Any of the above would send all of Charlotte into a frenzy.

However, it will take a G5 powerbook to set me personally into a frenzy, backed by a credit card :)

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Originally posted by Some_Big_Spoon
Arn,

If the 90nm 970's are being used in the Xserve, why hasn't Apple made a bigger deal of it? You'd think they'd want everyone to know..

And have there been any comparisions of heat dissipation and power consumption between the 130 & 90nm?

The people who are looking at the XServe will see it is using 90nm process 970's. Generally, this is a secondary number. Primary numbers, which are more prominently advertised, are processor speed/efficiency (as shown in benchmarks like SPEC) and heat dissipation.

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Originally posted by Some_Big_Spoon
Apparently, you're all right! Steve's Statement

Well, then they've got 6 months (or 12 if you take into when it actually ships)
:p

Wasn't there some comment made last late-Summer about the end of August being the "ship-before" date on 3GHz?

Regardless, Steve would love more than anything to beat his "within a year" comment by a couple of months ... kind of like that little smile he got talking about how iTMS beat the 6-month goal in the first week and the 1-year goal in six months.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by BenRoethig
Anyone else notice the use of 500mhz PC-4000 memory in that diagram?
I only see DDR400 Memory, which does not show in the AI pic.

That 500MHz (1GHz DDR) is the elastic bus (FSB) -- which would indicate a 2.0GHz processor at 2x multiplier.

So it's not a diagram of a 2.4GHz PPC970 -- even a 3x multiplier would mean a slower bus -- and they're integers not .5 increments on the multiplier (i think).

deepkid

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
chicago
Sure does!

Originally posted by MongoTheGeek
The alt text for the XServe on the bottom of http://www.apple.com says 2.3 GHz.

Right you are!

2.3Ghz.gif

ThomasJefferson

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Virginia
Originally posted by wordmunger
Heck, I'd settle for 97-0. Or even 9-7. Any of the above would send all of Charlotte into a frenzy.

We are already in a frenzy. I live 15 miles south of Charlotte. The town has gone bonkers.

ThomasJefferson

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Virginia
Re: Re: Re: Re: 2.6gig 970FX

No
The goto get a laugh site is and was As the Apple Turns.

Far worse than macosrumors was the short and spastic history of MacWhispers. MW was in a class all by itself.

Now ... let me just adjust my MacDesk here and get some work done ...

dho

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2003
California
Steve stated at wwdc it would be one year from then that they reached 3 GHZ. But a few months later he retracted and said 12 months after the g5s were actually shipping.

just to clarify

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Re: IBM PPC Quick Reference Guide 1-21-04

This should help, since the Momentum pic was a little thin on info.

Still not much more help, besides saying the 90nm is the 970FX.

And don't get too excited about PowerBooks yet, while the typical Power is down Max is still high -- along with the higher temp spec -- at 2.0GHz.

Does Open the door a bit more for the low clocked iMac or PowerBook though.

If you want the whole pdf -- IBM PPC Quick Reference Guide 1-21-04

Attachments

• ppc 970fx.jpg
    ppc 970fx.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 2,257

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by Gyroscope
Some people make fun of macosrumors.com site but they all forget that those guys were first to report about G5 not coming from Motorola and being stripped down version of Power4.

There's no question that they used to be a "real" rumor site.

But recently, they have been known to simply make up interesting-sounding rumors based on circulating gossip... which brings their credibility down to below zero.

arn

lind0834

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Re: 2.6gig 970FX

No
The goto get a laugh site is and was As the Apple Turns.

What about The Crazy Apple Rumors Site?
I find it's more laughable material, while AppleTurns is more uncontrollable grinning material.

seelab

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2004
Canada
... paving the way for PowerBook G5s.

"The 970FX, meanwhile, consumes a mere 12.3W at 1.4GHz, paving the way for PowerBook G5s. That figure is comparable to the 7.5W a 1GHz consumption of the G4-class Motorola MPC7447 that drives the current PowerBook G4s. The 970FX's SpeedStep-style PowerTune technology will help too."
http://theregister.co.uk/content/39/35057.html

YES ! :)

j_maddison

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2003
Nelson, Wales
I hate to point out the obvious but most of the rumors on this site never come to fruition. I'm of the opinion that macosrumors is as accurate as any other site. I'm pretty sure that alot of the rumors on this site are there just to keep our interest going until something juicy comes along.

Regardless, i quite like the forums on this rumor site and im just sure that we all wish that more of the rumors on any site turned ou to be accurate.

jason

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by j_maddison
I hate to point out the obvious but most of the rumors on this site never come to fruition. I'm of the opinion that macosrumors is as accurate as any other site. I'm pretty sure that alot of the rumors on this site are there just to keep our interest going until something juicy comes along.

well, one thing about MacRumors is that there is a rumors round up after big events/end of year. This site might get some rumors that others don't, but in general think of it as a clearing house for all rumors found on all the sites.

Much of it can be speculation and in some cases intentional falsehood - without setting probabilities to any one rumor - many times its left the reader to decide whether or not to believe them.

D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.