Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RocketFast

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2018
Bora Bora
My iphone xs just got down to 99% max capacity on the battery. Is this not to early for this to happen or what? How is your battery capacity doing?

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Just remember that battery loss isn't linear. It is not like a gas tank. It can, for 100 cycles, stay at a percentage. Use coconutBattery to find your capacity vs design capacity. https://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/

Out of all my phones - 6+, 6s+, 8+, and now Xs MAX - most started above design capacity but my 6s+? didn't - it started at 96% and stayed there for its near 200 cycle life.

seinman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2011
Philadelphia
Completely normal. It may go back up, or it may go down, or it may stay where it is. Unless it gets under 80% before 300 cycles (or something like that, forget the exact figure) then you're within the normal range. Expect it to be unstable for a while too, on my MBP it varied between 105% and 98% for the first 20 charge cycles before it leveled out.

Reactions: roncron

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
Do you often wireless charge the phone or fast charge it? Do you let it running too hot that almost burns your hand?

RocketFast

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2018
Bora Bora
Do you often wireless charge the phone or fast charge it? Do you let it running too hot that almost burns your hand?

No wireless charge, No fastcharge and i have not noticed the phone getting warm at all
[doublepost=1539384175][/doublepost]
Any battery loss is normal, mine is at 100 I have a XS Max

Just remember that battery loss isn't linear. It is not like a gas tank. It can, for 100 cycles, stay at a percentage. Use coconutBattery to find your capacity vs design capacity. https://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/

Out of all my phones - 6+, 6s+, 8+, and now Xs MAX - most started above design capacity but my 6s+? didn't - it started at 96% and stayed there for its near 200 cycle life.

Completely normal. It may go back up, or it may go down, or it may stay where it is. Unless it gets under 80% before 300 cycles (or something like that, forget the exact figure) then you're within the normal range. Expect it to be unstable for a while too, on my MBP it varied between 105% and 98% for the first 20 charge cycles before it leveled out.

Thank you all for the information, really appreciate it!

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Is wireless charging worse for the battery?

When it first came out, early wireless chargers tended to overheat batteries and not deal well with full charge. Android got wireless charging first, of course, and the results were a little iffy. As the product matured, things got a lot better. Temperature sensors would slow charging or stop if there was excessive heat and leaving your phone on a wireless charger didn't result in it freaking out when it hit max charge (turning off/on repeatedly).

Wireless charging is a lot safer today. But do realize that you get what you pay for. A cheap no-name brand wireless charger on Amazon is not going to be as safe or "healthy" as a name brand charger. Even with some early Anker wireless chargers, I had them burn up because I didn't set my phone perfectly on the pad (my phone didn't get hot, but the wireless charger was burning to the touch). Setting your phone perfectly on the coil helps.

Is it worse? Not really anymore. @Newtons Apple is correct - heat is a HUGE enemy of batteries. Set your phone on a wireless charger, don't touch it, let it charge, then use it. Plug into the wall with a cable if you need to use your phone and charge at the same time.

In a 2-4 year lifespan, not really going to see a difference with your iPhone.

RickCMC

Suspended
Sep 13, 2018
I got my XS on release date so I’ve had it a little over a month. I was looking at my battery health and noticed “Maximum Capacity” dropped to 99%. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong when it comes to charging the phone?

seinman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2011
Philadelphia
People need to learn to search. This must have been discussed 20 times in the last month.

This is completely, 100% normal. It may stay at 99% for a while, it may go back up to 100%, it may go down further. Here’s the thing though: it doesn’t matter. There’s a reason why this figure was hidden for so long. It’s just a guess. As you use your phone more, it’ll get better at guessing. And unless it gets below 80% within the warranty period it doesn’t matter anyway, as they won’t replace it for free unless it does. So stop obsessing. Only check it once every month or two. If it starts getting close to 80 before the warranty is up, then worry about it. Until then, pretend it doesn’t matter and enjoy your phone.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
My suggestion would be don't worry about it and enjoy the phone. When you look for battery usage and stats is when you don't truly enjoy your device.

Unless battery becomes terrible then it's not something worth thinking about.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
People need to learn to search. This must have been discussed 20 times in the last month.

This is completely, 100% normal. It may stay at 99% for a while, it may go back up to 100%, it may go down further. Here’s the thing though: it doesn’t matter. There’s a reason why this figure was hidden for so long. It’s just a guess. As you use your phone more, it’ll get better at guessing. And unless it gets below 80% within the warranty period it doesn’t matter anyway, as they won’t replace it for free unless it does. So stop obsessing. Only check it once every month or two. If it starts getting close to 80 before the warranty is up, then worry about it. Until then, pretend it doesn’t matter and enjoy your phone.

This is why we can’t have nice things. That % is a guesstimation at best.

dragon4ever

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2010
I’m thinking of getting it replaced at the end of December because by then I might be at 97%, but I’m not sure if 2-3% of extra battery life makes a difference in overall battery health. Is it even worth replacing the battery at this point? I would hate to not take advantage of the reduced price of a new battery. Can I just request a physical battery without installation from Apple?

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
It would be a complete waste of your time to replace this battery.

Battery degradation is not linear, it could be at 85% next week then stay there for a year. You're thinking far too much into this.

And no, Apple won't just sell you the battery (as cool as it would be if they did).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.