Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phillycreamboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
I was wondering if anyone has recently ordered a MacBook Air new or Refurbished and received the display panel listed as 9C8F. If so could someone post pictures of this display.

I currently own a 1.6 MacBook Air with the 9C90 screen and have the faint grey lines in my display.

mrgossett

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2008
I just bought an Apple refurb MBA 1.86 SSD that has the 9C90 screen, but it has no lines in the display.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
There was one person that said they received that display in their refurbished rev C 2.13 GHz/SSD MBA. There have been no other reports in the thread I posted to determine what displays were going out. Out of probably 100 (approximate total between all seen, thread, and read in other threads), there has been one I know of...

The 9C90 has had mixed reviews. And that has been reported in the other 99 cases I have heard.

phillycreamboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
I have looked at every MacBook Air in any Best Buy or Apple Store and they have all had 9C90 screens and they have all had lines. I would love to see a picture a 9C8F.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
A photo isn't going to show the difference. The only thing that display lacks is lines. Colors and all the same. Saw a Rev B 9C8F from April 09 with no lines.

You need to see one in person. You will not be any more impressed than a 9C90 without lines - plenty of those exist.

Bottom line is on the majority of 9C90 displays do not have visible lines from normal viewing distance.

If you want a rev C you're going to have to find a 9C90 you can live with. Believe me, I tried finding a different display like my rev B had, but the display you're looking for isn't normally found on the rev C.

Good luck.

mhnajjar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
I have a revB with the 9C8F screen but you would NOT be able to tell anything from a picture. However, if you put the screens next to each other, the difference is huge and anyone who thinks that his/her 9C90 screen doesn't have lines will change his/her mind :D

caonimadebi

macrumors regular
May 7, 2009
Two Macbook Air's I've owned:
Rev. B 1.6Ghz/HDD: 9C8F and no discernible lines but is very yellow, even after calibration. It's really frustrating when you compare it to a 13" MBP. 9C8F is certainly not perfect. Purchased new late Feb. 2009 in MI.

Rev. C 2.13/SSD: 9C90 with slightly affected lines issue but not enough to bother me. Display seems a lot less yellow after calibration. Almost as good as the 13" MBP display. Exchanged new late August 2009 in CA.

Bottom line: Neither display is perfect and there's no need to sweat over it.

caonimadebi

macrumors regular
May 7, 2009
I have a revB with the 9C8F screen but you would NOT be able to tell anything from a picture. However, if you put the screens next to each other, the difference is huge and anyone who thinks that his/her 9C90 screen doesn't have lines will change his/her mind :D

I've owned a 9C8F and trust me, 9C8F is really not that special compared even with the worst 9C90's.

mhnajjar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
I've owned a 9C8F and trust me, 9C8F is really not that special compared even with the worst 9C90's.

Trust me, it is special.

I have owned 3 9C90 and have seen tons of those on displays and I couldn't live with any of them. However, the 9C8F reminded me of my revA line free MBA. I just had to do some minor calibration and it is comparable to my 24" iMac :cool:

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I saw the 9C8F right next to a 9C90 (mine). The color on mine was ever so slightly more crisp and bright. I set both on the exact same brightness middle, 3/4, and full brightness. Mine was better, slightly.

I assumed it was because the 9C8F was in a rev B from April.

There is no way in the world anyone could tell the difference in a photo. The only thing slightly better on the 9C8F was the backlighting. I noticed only when the gray screen was on during the boot process.

I would take the 9C8F over the average rev C 9C90 display. But the really good 9C90 displays, ones without lines, are actually better in color and brightness. The other display from the rev B was by far the best model in my opinion. My rev B 1.86/SSD (stolen) was the most beautiful display I have ever seen. I so wish Apple would have used that one. I can imagine that the one from my rev B would probably look better in a photo even. Anyone remember what the model number was? 9C9A??? I think that was it.

Just worry about getting one that has no lines visible from normal viewing distance. It's very hard to find one without lines visible from very short distances (like 4 inches).

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
My 9C90 looks good to me. No gray lines (if it's there, I wouldn't know what to look for).

Did I mention color calibrators work wonders. :p

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
My 9C90 looks good to me. No gray lines (if it's there, I wouldn't know what to look for).

Did I mention color calibrators work wonders. :p

That's true. I would say the GAMMA 2.2 reduces lines by 50%. And that setting becomes default in Snow Leopard.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
After doing some online searching and then scrutinizing my screen, if I try to look at my screen at a extreme angle and very closely (both which I would not do under normal circumstances), I can make out faint lines horizontally.

Since I can't see them under normal conditions, I'm fine with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.