Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Anyone know if the new, faster 9ms response time on iOS 13 is also coming to the first generation Apple Pencil? Anyone notice any differences?

PS - I still love my 10.5" iPad Pro and one of the positive qualities of the Tim Cook era is his vision on the iPad has really been a positive for fans of the device. I'm just really hoping they release a new iPad Pro with a white screen bezel by the time I'm ready to upgrade. :)

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I believe the first and second gen pencils both currently have the same 20ms latency, so if it's software optimisation I don't see why not? Having said that, the ProMotion display might be key to actually noticing the difference, and if so it would only really make a difference if you have the second gen pros and first gen pencil.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Great question.

This is important because it could effect a lot of future buyers decision - the previous iPad Pros like the 9.7 / 10.5 / 12.9 are all much cheaper than the current iPads, and I could see a lot of digital artists / designers like myself that don't use their iPads for much besides digital art!

The iPad with Procreate & occasionally using it for computer design work with a relatively unknown app named EasyCanvas has changed my design workflow completely! Sold my 20" drawing monitor!

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I believe the first and second gen pencils both currently have the same 20ms latency
The first gen Apple Pencil has higher latency than Apple Pencil 2. I guess first gen has 30ms or 40ms delay while second gen has 20ms, both under iOS 12. So this 9ms thing is definitely not gonna have the same effect on first gen Apple Pencil. Hopefully the latency could also be reduced for first gen Apple Pencil.
Speaking of which, I tried this Apple Pencil 9ms in Apple Store. The effect is barely noticeable for normal use, but it is there. I am shocked by that low latency by a lot.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Anyone know if the new, faster 9ms response time on iOS 13 is also coming to the first generation Apple Pencil? Anyone notice any differences?

PS - I still love my 10.5" iPad Pro and one of the positive qualities of the Tim Cook era is his vision on the iPad has really been a positive for fans of the device. I'm just really hoping they release a new iPad Pro with a white screen bezel by the time I'm ready to upgrade. :)
I believe the Apple Pencil 1 is 9ms faster instead of being 9ms.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
The first gen Apple Pencil has higher latency than Apple Pencil 2. I guess first gen has 30ms or 40ms delay while second gen has 20ms, both under iOS 12. So this 9ms thing is definitely not gonna have the same effect on first gen Apple Pencil. Hopefully the latency could also be reduced for first gen Apple Pencil.
Speaking of which, I tried this Apple Pencil 9ms in Apple Store. The effect is barely noticeable for normal use, but it is there. I am shocked by that low latency by a lot.
Just double checked the WWDC '17 keynote and as I thought the first gen pencil definitely has 20ms latency on the second gen (2017) iPad pros with ProMotion - I don't know what it is on the non PM iPads. I'm guessing ProMotion is the factor that determines whether the pencil will benefit, so you'll get it with pencil 2 but for pencil 1 you will have to have a second gen pro.

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
Just double checked the WWDC '17 keynote and as I thought the first gen pencil definitely has 20ms latency on the second gen (2017) iPad pros with ProMotion - I don't know what it is on the non PM iPads. I'm guessing ProMotion is the factor that determines whether the pencil will benefit, so you'll get it with pencil 2 but for pencil 1 you will have to have a second gen pro.

Yes, the 2nd gen 10.5” iPad Pro got a reduction in latency from the 1st gen iPad Pro. The latency had more to do with the iPad hardware than the pencil hardware. So I’m guessing the 2nd gen iPad Pros have reduced latency too. Not that I’ll notice it.

1ove

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2015
Have a nice day guys.
Does someone know the answer abt that (9ms to apple pencil 1)?

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Did we ever get any clarification on the latency situation for an iPad Pro 10.5" on iOS 13 with the first generation Apple Pencil ?

Anyone have any anecdotal experiences that might help also/alternatively?

Rashy

Suspended
Jan 7, 2020
Pushing this question again.
I am aware about the 20ms standard for the Pencil 1 with all Pro Devices of 2017 and newer, thanks to ProMotion. While 20ms is not bad at all, a further reduce is, of course, appreciated.

Just used my first gen pencil and it seems much more responsive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.