Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HiDeHo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
I have just brought a 2TB external powered hdd.

i am wanting to use it for my backup via time machine and data.
i am going to be plugging the hdd into the modems usb port as a file server.

what i really want to know is should i leave the drive as one partition or si it best to keep things separate.with 2 1TB partitions.

any other tips and tricks for my setup would also be appreciated.

edit: I decided to leave the drive as one hfs+(journaled) mac partition and just use it for my Time Machine backups.
edit 2: in regards to general data partition, backup solution click here.

Last edited:

johnmacward

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
I suppose it's one of those things that's completely up to you!

Any reason you want to have two partitions?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Personally, I'd have my backup on one drive and a data drive completely separate. If you partition a single drive for a backup partition and a data partition and that drive fails you lose your data and backup.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
i am wanting to use it for my backup via time machine and data.
Explain to me how you will recover your data if this drive develops a fault. The purpose of a backup is duplication, so that if one device breaks down, another one still has ALL your data.

As for partitioning: if you're not planning on using a partition for different file formats, or separate bootable volumes: don't. I have always regretted partitioning a drive and wanted to change the structure later.
However, TM will fill any volume it uses, so there is a point in limiting that with a partition.

But make sure that whatever data you put on the other partition is backed up on ANOTHER physical device.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Also note, the USB port on the MODEM is intended to provide internet connection in the case of a system with no LAN port. If you mean on the ROUTER, not all routers provide the ability to use Time Machine to back up to a device plugged into that USB port.

HiDeHo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
ok i understand.

right i guess leaving it on one partition is good enough.

there is no harm in trying to see if time machine will backup over the network. I will leave the drive in ntfs. and see. thanks all.

most helpful.

next i will need a powered usb hub.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
right i guess leaving it on one partition is good enough.

there is no harm in trying to see if time machine will backup over the network. I will leave the drive in ntfs. and see. thanks all.

most helpful.

next i will need a powered usb hub.

I am not sure about NTFS on a network but I think there will be no issues, but if you connect it directly to a mac it is read only, you need, or drivers which makes it R/W or a "hack" which has stability problems.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
TM needs an HFS+ format to work. You can use a sparse bundle image, which essentially simulates the HFS+ format, but it stores lots of metadata which needs the HFS+ format.

HiDeHo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
I am not sure about NTFS on a network but I think there will be no issues, but if you connect it directly to a mac it is read only, you need, or drivers which makes it R/W or a "hack" which has stability problems.

the ntfs-3g driver gives the support to read and write properly to ntfs filesystem. click here

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.