Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paxpax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2021
My brother ( Stanford University student in 1982) won in a raffle, headed up by Steve Jobs, a beta tester Macintosh Computer with an external hard drive, with no serial number. Steve Jobs was presenting to a very small group of Stanford students what he said would become the future first Macintosh, later released I think in 1984??. My brother told stories of all the students in his dorm coming to his room to use this “life changing” device for students’ term papers. (No more typewriter, onion paper, etc). He was a freshman at Stanford at the time and his classmates had to wait a couple of years to get their own Macintosh. Does this computer have any value other than the typical original Macintosh’s seen on eBay. I felt it was unique because it was a beta tester, with no serial number given to him by Mr. Jobs. Unfortunately my brother didn’t think to ask him for his autograph. I’d like to know if this is special and could have some value to either a University museum/department, or sell it only if it's quite valuable. Thank you for any insight or direction. Cheers.
All the software and instruction manuals are with the computer that still works and looks in excellent condition.

Reactions: grandM

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
If your brother can prove its provenance then I would expect it to be very valuable. Probably in at least the 10's of thousands of dollars. Like any collectable, it really depends on the details and documentation.

My brother ( Stanford University student in 1982) won in a raffle, headed up by Steve Jobs, a beta tester Macintosh Computer with an external hard drive, with no serial number. Steve Jobs was presenting to a very small group of Stanford students what he said would become the future first Macintosh, later released I think in 1984??. My brother told stories of all the students in his dorm coming to his room to use this “life changing” device for students’ term papers. (No more typewriter, onion paper, etc). He was a freshman at Stanford at the time and his classmates had to wait a couple of years to get their own Macintosh. Does this computer have any value other than the typical original Macintosh’s seen on eBay. I felt it was unique because it was a beta tester, with no serial number given to him by Mr. Jobs. Unfortunately my brother didn’t think to ask him for his autograph. I’d like to know if this is special and could have some value to either a University museum/department, or sell it only if it's quite valuable. Thank you for any insight or direction. Cheers.
All the software and instruction manuals are with the computer that still works and looks in excellent condition.

As with the other remark, if an unbroken chain of provenance and documentation can be provided, then the device may have some historically significant value as a surviving prototype. That chain of provenance, however, will need to be thorough and verifiable, as a conservator will demand for nothing less.

If all of this can be verified definitively, then it would probably be advisable to work out an arrangement to lend the hardware to a well-established museum of vintage gear to help raise publicity for its existence. Doing so will lend it a much-welcomed recognition, and if ultimately your family decides to sell or auction it, then it will have that track record supporting it as well.

Note to mods: this thread should be moved to the Collectables section.

Last edited:

netsrot39

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2018
Austria
Interesting story, I'd love to see how this prototype looked. Do you mind taking some photos and posting them here?

paxpax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2021
Thank you very much for your guidance and suggestions. I appreciate it very much and will look into (any) paperwork, documentations, photos (there may be a year book photo) that I may find. Thanks again. Best.

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Thank you very much for your guidance and suggestions. I appreciate it very much and will look into (any) paperwork, documentations, photos (there may be a year book photo) that I may find. Thanks again. Best.
Anyone here would appreciate a photo of that magic Mac ... ?

Reactions: grandM
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.