Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
sushi said:
Hey, when I build them, I have an attachment because something of me is part of them.

I think this is true of anything one makes with their own hands, time and effort.

Yeah, you have a good point.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
clayj said:
I know how you feel... but I think you need to watch this:

http://www.mjz.com/publish/2003/06/05/ikea_lamp_Large.mov
I've seen that ad before, and it's a great one.

That said, I also get attached to old computers and other tools, but I don't feel bad for the object--I'm not anthropomorphizing it--I feel bad about losing something with a lot of memories attached to it. It's nostalgia, basically--things trigger memories. It's one reason people take photos or home video, for example.

I have a feeling that at least some of the people here feel the same way.

Me, it was a little hard to let go of my first G4, both because it was the first Mac that was entirely mine after I moved away from my parents (in fact, it was basically the first thing I bought--I didn't even have any furniture to speak of) and the first pro Mac I ever had. Fortunately, I sold it to my dad, so it's not exactly lost to me.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
FF_productions said:
Don't forget the amount of money you have to put into the machine and have to realize that your machine isn't NEW and SHINY anymore. :(
I think this is especially true on the PC side.

With constant update/upgrades such as MoBo, CPU, video card, RAM, latest DVD burner, etc., it can get very expensive over time. So the computer as it stands might be worth $800 new, but you've put 3-4 grand into it over the years with these constant updates/upgrades.

So you have to let it go for well less than $800 knowing that you put 4-5 times that much into it.

...maybe that is why I am poor! :eek:

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
I know how you feel. I've never had to sell any Macs, but I did just take apart my first and only custom-built Windows box. It was kind of sad at first, but now I really don't care being a Mac user and all. If it was my PowerBook, however... there would be tears! ;)

I'm this way with every pig purchase/item I receive actually. For example, I refuse to sell my 3G iPod because it was my first iPod ever, as well as my first Apple product. A friend wanted to buy it off me, but I refused to give it up. He kind of gave me a "haha... okay" kind of reply, but do I care? :p The same goes for my PowerBook. Being my first Mac ever, I can't ever see myself giving it up. It's my baby. :) An iMac G3 also just joined the Mac family, so that'll be my next project to obsess over. Lots of upgrades to come!

Anyway, yeah, sorry for the loss. :( Like others have said, take a picture with it to remember the good times. And plus, you're selling it to a friend... aka someone you should know very well. Visit it on the weekends!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.