Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
This is the definition given, when searching in Google for what a brand identiy consists of.

"Brand identity is the specific design and messaging a company uses, including logo, color scheme, typography, voice and tone. If you sell physical products, brand identity can also include tangible elements, such as the appearance and materials used in your packaging."

1. What is meant by voice and tone?
2. what is meant by "appearance and materials used in your packaging" ?
3. Is there a "Brand Identty" example i can have a look at and study?

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
Voice and tone is how companies interact and communicate with their customers. Do their ads/imagery/copy imply a playful or joking tone? Are the more serious? Informative? Empathetic? Loud and bold with their claims, or more subtle?

Packaging is similar. Notice how Apple’s packaging design is similar for all products. Heavy focus on white with only the product prominently featured. Only the bare minimum shown on specs or features.

Apple has a good and consistent brand identity for you to study.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Voice and tone is how companies interact and communicate with their customers. Do their ads/imagery/copy imply a playful or joking tone? Are the more serious? Informative? Empathetic? Loud and bold with their claims, or more subtle?
Thanks for the nice explanation, but would it be possible to give me a real example with the tone characteristics that you've informed me of?

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
Thanks for the nice explanation, but would it be possible to give me a real example with the tone characteristics that you've informed me of?
https://us.msi.com/Laptops

MSI’s tone to describe their laptops is aggressive, dominate and highlighting specific technical elements with the assumption that buyers inherently understand each components’ benefits.

Apple’s tone is more enabler-oriented with implications that you’ll “love” the MacBook and only calling out specific technology when describing the benefits it will provide to the buyer.

Reactions: zoran
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.