Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Re: A Cause Worthy of a Contribution

Originally posted by dukestreet
I certainly hope they take pictures of this and post it online. I don't know how many CDs I've recieved over the past decade or so, but imagine how much money it cost them?

http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/internet/10/17/aol.discs/index.html

You know whats relaly abd about AOL, is that recently they haven't just been sending out CD's, they've been sending them in aluminum containers. How many resources have to be used just to send a free hours I'm not going to use.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Aww man! If they stop sending the promos, what will we use for office frisbees?! :(

But seriously, I think this a good idea. Those "free" CDs are a total waste of time, money, and resources. And the product sucks to add insult to injury....

beez7777

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2002
Notre Dame
its fun when you throw them really hard against a wall and see the pieces fly all over the place, and as hemingray said, the make excellent frisbees. :) anybody know their website?

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
The latest issue of Mad Magazine has a great spoof AOL ad, announcing new features something like these:

"Now gives you a three second warning before disconneting you for no reason."

"Now prevents pedophiles from entering chat rooms with the new 'I am not a pedophile' button."

"Upgrade to version 9.0 now so you'll be ready to upgrade to version 10.0 when we release it in three weeks!"

I don't think they made fun of the endless promotional CDs, however. Maybe AOL should switch to CD-RWs, so we could reuse them like we did with the floppy disks they used to send.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
actually the tins make good stash boxes, the brits can confirm that they hold a lot of "skins". i don't mind getting the ones in DVD cases, because the cases are good for giving CD-Rs to clients, etc... print up your own label, they're more substancial than jewel cases.

but it's about time someone thought of an idea like this... i'll definitely be participating...

:)
pnw

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I've been saving leftover CDs (both AOL and others) instead of throwing them out so I can recycle them "properly" someday. But I don't know what "properly" means, so they keep piling up. Does anyone recycle these things? I have at least 1000.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Oh, man. I got one of those sh*tdisks with my free copy of Entertainment mag.

I don't understand how sending them back is a promotion. But this I find pretty funny:

"You're wasting a lot of natural resources," said landfill manager Janet Schnyder. "You're causing pollution and you're basically sending something that people don't want."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.