Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fearxtragedy

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2007
alright so if you look back a couple days you'll see a post i made about my messed up os x. windows runs fine on bootcamp but mac volume needs to be repaired, however disk util on the restore disk fails to repair.

heres my problem.

im in school.

you guys said i should just wipe it clean and install os x with no windows partition. well what if it ****s up after that and then not only is my problem not solved, i cant turn to windows when i need to actually do school work!

is there any possible way i can fix this without losing os x or my computer to futureshop for 3827398 weeks? thanks

fearxtragedy

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2007
update:

alright well i just reinstalled os x onto its own partition while keeping windows intact, however i disabled macdrive in windows.

hopefully it works, although some input here would be appreciated? =]

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
Well, i would have suggested you drop in your restore discs and run Disk utility from there... or if you are on an intel mac, held down... h? or is it t? Some letter to have it boot the hardware diagnostics (D, you hold down D) and check to see if your hard drive is on its way out.

But now that you have reformatted, you should be fine? YOu know what, run the systems diags anyway.

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
If you have a hardware error you have a hardware error. You don't get anything out of 'hiding' it until it really becomes a problem. If it's a problem it needs to be fixed. There really aren't any good times to lose your computer for a couple of weeks but it HAS to be repaired if you have a hardware malfunction. Otherwise it might just crash on you when you least expect it, leaving your data GONE.

fearxtragedy

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2007
haha im not "hiding" from it, but it doesnt make sense to me. maybe its because i'm not as technically knowledgeable as you guys, but how can it be a hard drive issue when only one operating system fails, but both are on the same hard drive?

i uninstalled macdrive, could that have been the problem?

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
haha im not "hiding" from it, but it doesnt make sense to me. maybe its because i'm not as technically knowledgeable as you guys, but how can it be a hard drive issue when only one operating system fails, but both are on the same hard drive?

i uninstalled macdrive, could that have been the problem?

It can be a hardrive related issue because:

A disk is made up of sectors or blocks, if one of those blocks are bad, then you will never find out until you fill all the blocks on the disk. When you install a second OS you suddenly use up a lot more space than before, so that could be why one of the OS doesn't work. I don't believe it to be macdrive's fault.

What you can do is play the waiting and observing game which is basically remembering when the problem occurs and what factors are around to make it happen. Then deduce some factors as you keep experiencing the problem. When enough of the software factors are left out, only hardware ones remain, seeing that it's not a 'common' software issue at all around here, we can 'safely' conclude that hardware is the problem (eventually). But stuff like this takes time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.