Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
USA
I’m new to HomePod. I haven’t decided if I’m impressed or not, but I am having a small problem with volume controls from my iPhone or Apple TV. On my iPhone when I turn the volume up with the slider it jumps back down a little bit. If I use the volume buttons on my phone and push up the volume actually goes down. The other issue is maybe more a feature request. When I’m watching Apple TV and adjust the volume it seems like it will only jump in increments of about 10%. Am I doing something wrong?

Also, I can’t get my HomePods to play music on their own. It always wants to go through the Apple TV. Even if I select the HomePods from the airplay options, it will eventually jump over to the Apple TV/HomePod combo. Not a huge deal except if I wanted my Apple TV on I’d turn it on and there seems to be more lag when it plays that way.

Another update as I go along. I'm leaning toward not being impressed. I'm annoyed by the volume fluctuating so much from song to song. Sound check on or off. And these are songs from the same album from Apple Music. In fact, the same song will do it. If it starts playing too quietly and I restart the song the volume will return to what it should be. I want to like these things but these basic things not working properly are annoying.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chrisbc

Cancelled
Nov 14, 2020
No issues with volume settings here. I bought a pair of homepods to replace our soundbar, but they sound like big tv speakers. decent bass, but just straight up too much treble.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
USA
No issues with volume settings here. I bought a pair of homepods to replace our soundbar, but they sound like big tv speakers. decent bass, but just straight up too much treble.
I think the sound quality is pretty good but I am coming from stock tv speakers. I’m starting to think I may have been better off with a regular sound bar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.