Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geepondy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2013
I read in various reviews that the IPAD Pro speakers sound better than the Ipad Air but are they comparing modern IPAD Pros? For anyone that has upgraded from an Ipad Pro 10.5" to modern Air, do you take much of a hit in the sound department? Also do you miss the 120hz refresh rate or do get used to the 60hz of the Air? I still love my 10.5 Pro but battery life is now is taking a big hit (but not according to Apple, long story) so sooner or later am going to give in when I see a good Air special. The sound and refresh rates are the only two things I am worried about, otherwise don't see the need for a Pro11. Maybe if they used the same mini LED screen technology as the bigger version but they don't.

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
In April of 2023, I believe the original owner of an aging 10.5” who regularly enjoys the speakers and plans to keep the next device for as many years (I’m including myself in this group) would be better served by spending $639 on an 11” M1 Pro from Apple’s refurbished store than $499 on the Air from Amazon or Micro Center, etc.

edit: unless you don’t like FaceID, of course.

• Love
Reactions: ericwn

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I upgraded from a 9.7-inch iPad Pro to the Air 5 (whilst keeping the 9.7-inch iPad Pro), and the iPad Pro’s speakers are definitely superior. Louder, fuller sound. I compared them together.

I tried a 3rd-gen 12.9-inch iPad Pro and the difference with my iPad Pro wasn’t massive. Yes, it was better, but there’s more difference between the 9.7-inch iPad Pro and the Air 5 than between the two Pros.

I don’t use the speakers much, so it didn’t bother me at all. The full screen and the rest of the device’s features definitely make up for the speaker loss, at least to me. However, if you use the speakers heavily, it may be a factor in your decision. The Air 5’s speakers aren’t bad, though.

Reactions: Digitalguy

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
In April of 2023, I believe the original owner of an aging 10.5” who regularly enjoys the speakers and plans to keep the next device for as many years (I’m including myself in this group) would be better served by spending $639 on an 11” M1 Pro from Apple’s refurbished store than $499 on the Air from Amazon or Micro Center, etc.

This is great advice! For promotion and faceid alone I’d pick up the pro for that bit of extra cash.

geepondy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2013
I wonder if Apple has improved the battery charging algorithms in the newer ipads? Example in three years my Iphone 11 battery health was down to 78% but since owning my iphone 14 pro since last September, still at 100 percent. Admittedly I have charged the 14 Pro exclusively on the magcharger while charging the 11 in various different charges. Apple says the health of my Ipad Pro 10.5 is still acceptable (must be above 80 percent) but I find that hard to believe as I don't think I'm getting much more than half of the original charge. Also interesting is that they told me they don't replace the battery but will replace the Ipad if it doesn't meet minimum charge capacity, yet their ipad refurbs are stated to come with a new battery.

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
…they don't replace the battery but will replace the Ipad if it doesn't meet minimum charge capacity, yet their ipad refurbs are stated to come with a new battery.
Good point. Perhaps that explains why the refurbished units also get a new outer shell.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I wonder if Apple has improved the battery charging algorithms in the newer ipads? Example in three years my Iphone 11 battery health was down to 78% but since owning my iphone 14 pro since last September, still at 100 percent. Admittedly I have charged the 14 Pro exclusively on the magcharger while charging the 11 in various different charges. Apple says the health of my Ipad Pro 10.5 is still acceptable (must be above 80 percent) but I find that hard to believe as I don't think I'm getting much more than half of the original charge. Also interesting is that they told me they don't replace the battery but will replace the Ipad if it doesn't meet minimum charge capacity, yet their ipad refurbs are stated to come with a new battery.
Apple’s battery health meter on iPads is far higher than measurements by Coconut and other tools. The battery life impact is probably due to iPadOS 16, if you’re on that version. I’ve seen reports that show that battery life on that model isn’t amazing on that iOS version.

How many hours are you getting?

Last edited:

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016

Since the MagSafe uses wireless charging, that occasionally tends to generate a lot of heat which I doubt would be great for the device in the long run.

geepondy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2013

That's a good point and it appears the Apple refurb Ipads are as good as new with new skin and battery. I'm guessing Apple won't update the Pro line in 2023 but one of the reasons I keep holding off is I'm hoping Apple will finally change the display type on the 11, if not OLED then at least min-LED.

geepondy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2013
Apple’s battery health meter on iPads is far higher than measurements by Coconut and other tools. The battery life impact is probably due to iPadOS 16, if you’re on that version. I’ve seen reports that show that battery life on that model isn’t amazing on that iOS version.

How many hours are you getting?
Imazing has it at 71 percent with 644 charge cycles. I know the program is probably not as accurate as what jApple uses but I can say it's very close to matching the stated battery life of my two iphones. Apple battery health says my iphone 11 battery life is 79 percent, Imazing, 78 percent.

geepondy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2013
Since the MagSafe uses wireless charging, that occasionally tends to generate a lot of heat which I doubt would be great for the device in the long run.
It's been excellent with my iphone14 pro so far and doesn't get extremely warm. In 7 months, battery health is still 100 %, BUT not once, not, twice but three times I have woken up in the morning with a bricked phone which I had to do the forced restart to bring back to life. This never happened with old phone and charging via lightning cable.

Don't understand why Mag charging is not available with Ipad.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Imazing has it at 71 percent with 644 charge cycles. I know the program is probably not as accurate as what jApple uses but I can say it's very close to matching the stated battery life of my two iphones. Apple battery health says my iphone 11 battery life is 79 percent, Imazing, 78 percent.
I’ve found Coconut to be just as accurate on all of the iPhones I’ve tested, too. I have no reason to believe the actual number is higher.

Some people have convincingly stated that the reason for that discrepancy is very simple: Apple measures battery health as an average throughout a period of time, and apps like iMazing and Coconut measure the instant battery health number. Have you ever seen that number fluctuate heavily? That’s likely because instant measurements fluctuate.

The question about that that hasn’t been answered is the following: why are Apple’s numbers always so much higher? If it is an average, at some point they should be closer to each other. They aren’t.

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
That's a good point and it appears the Apple refurb Ipads are as good as new with new skin and battery. I'm guessing Apple won't update the Pro line in 2023 but one of the reasons I keep holding off is I'm hoping Apple will finally change the display type on the 11, if not OLED then at least min-LED.
Yes, I trust Apple refurbished devices. And I’m in a similar situation as you, except that my 10.5” has some screen issues, so it’s a constant reminder that I’m waiting for a new model to be released next year. And if I can wait and it’s OLED, I’ll be paying full price and feeling obligated to be part of the launch, pre-order and all that. After giving you the advice I wrote, I’m strongly considering creating my own Apple Refurbished upgrade cycle. I could get the OLED version in a few years and trade in the M1 and then I won’t be in a rush or have to stare at the pink haze on my screen when it’s not in Dark Mode.

geepondy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2013
Yes, I trust Apple refurbished devices. And I’m in a similar situation as you, except that my 10.5” has some screen issues, so it’s a constant reminder that I’m waiting for a new model to be released next year. And if I can wait and it’s OLED, I’ll be paying full price and feeling obligated to be part of the launch, pre-order and all that. After giving you the advice I wrote, I’m strongly considering creating my own Apple Refurbished upgrade cycle. I could get the OLED version in a few years and trade in the M1 and then I won’t be in a rush or have to stare at the pink haze on my screen when it’s not in Dark Mode.
Your situation would put me over the edge, congratulations for holding on! I can say speed wise and everything else, I'm still satisfied with the 10.5. Upgraded cameras, Lidos, etc do nothing for me, upgraded cameras are much more important on my iphone. And while I'll gladly give up the home button for increased screen real estate on my iphone, I think I'll miss it on my Ipad whenever I do get a new one.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
The quality of speakers is THE most underrated and least spoken about iPad Pro advantage.:D

Speakers in each corner result in fantastic stereo separation regardless of Orientation. Furthermore the speakers are more powerful, have better base and sound better. It’s a major and tangible advantage that is makes a more meaningful difference than 120hz or pencil support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.