Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedSponge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2006
Bournemouth
So i thought i'd throw part 2 in here too, seeing as you are all worldly in the ways of the mac.

1) Does anyone have a guesstimate as to when the new intel chips will be slung into iMacs? Can't remember the name (begins with C...), but the ones that will succeed Yonah.

2) An approximate date for the release of Leopard? OS X 10.5

Both have been bugging me, and i'd just like to clear them up.

Cheers folks.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Conroe is not scheduled for release until Q3 this year so the earliest Apple will launch any product with it then. I'm not sure it will be used in an iMac. Conroe is a full-on desktop chip and will likely be quite a lot hotter than the current CoreDuo. Merom is the mobile equivilant of Conroe and is meant to be released at the same time and is a more likely iMac chip.

10.5 as not even been demoed yet. I think it will probably be shown at WWDC with a spring 2007 launch date.

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
robbieduncan said:
10.5 as not even been demoed yet. I think it will probably be shown at WWDC with a spring 2007 launch date.
I thought the general consensus around here was that Leopard would ship about the same time as Vista - supposedly late 2006. Although that doesn't leave them a lot of time to finish it off. But I'm guessing that Vista will slip again - Microsoft aren't having a lot of fun meeting their deadlines ;)

RedSponge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2006
Bournemouth
Screw it then, I can't be arsed to sit around iMac-less for 7-9 months for an operating system that will only cost me £90, if I really need itat all then. I doubt that.

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
RedSponge said:
Screw it then, I can't be arsed to sit around iMac-less for 7-9 months for an operating system that will only cost me £90, if I really need itat all then. I doubt that.

Like every one will say, if you need a computer now. Then buy it, if you can hold on it then hold on it. Buying a iMac now what make it absolute when the newer iMacs come and the OS seems to be a no big deal for you. Plus at least you get the new iLife :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.