Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G-Ziss

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
I'd like to buy an adapter that will allow me to output my iPad (8th Gen) to my TV. (I may also use it to output my Galaxy S20)

I found on Amazon a USB-C to HDMI Adapter, and I also found a USB-C to HDMI cable.

I understand that with the adapter, you need to supply your own HDMI cable. Other than that though, what is the difference? Is one better than the other?

On a related note, I've read articles that say you should only use Apple-brand cables (etc.), for example chargers, with Apple devices. Is there any truth to this? Should I buy an Apple brand adapter or will these third party brands work just as well without sacrificing any safety?

mystery hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2021
I'd like to buy an adapter that will allow me to output my iPad (8th Gen)
That iPad (8th Gen) would have a Lightning port, so you need a Lightning to HDMI adapter, or Lighting to HDMI cable.

The ones that you linked to have a USB-C connector.

Reactions: Peter K.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
I'd like to buy an adapter that will allow me to output my iPad (8th Gen) to my TV. (I may also use it to output my Galaxy S20)

I found on Amazon a USB-C to HDMI Adapter, and I also found a USB-C to HDMI cable.

I understand that with the adapter, you need to supply your own HDMI cable. Other than that though, what is the difference? Is one better than the other?

On a related note, I've read articles that say you should only use Apple-brand cables (etc.), for example chargers, with Apple devices. Is there any truth to this? Should I buy an Apple brand adapter or will these third party brands work just as well without sacrificing any safety?
The first adapter only supports 4K 30Hz. The cable supports 4K 60Hz. Neither of them has a power input. Maybe consider the Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter which has a USB-C power input.

Neither of them works with a Lightning port - for that you should just get the Apple Lightning Digital AV Adapter which has a Lightning power input.

Reactions: Peter K.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.