Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chynaxdawl

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2004
gdavid said:
Have to add a second recommendation for these bags. I just got a 10 inch one for my 12 inch powerbook. They have heaps of cool, unique designs and the bags are very well constructed and resonably padded although I will be using mine with a sleeve as well.

my first post, yay! haha. :D well i'm looking into buying a 12" g4 powerbook so i'm looking at bags and cases and stuff. these air bags look cool, although expensive. but i was wondering if they were spacious...they look small. like is all u can really fit is the computer itself?

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
krisjon said:
I've been poking around looking for a bag to carry my new 17" PB that's coming this Thursday. Just curious if anyone has seen these or maybe has one? A buddy of mine that went to MacWorld saw them and thought they were pretty cool and very different from the other messenger/business styled ones out there + it will hold a 17".

http//www.axio-usa.com
I've an Incase Nylon Backpack - for iBook 12" and 14", PowerBook G4 12" 15" and 17"

Plenty of room for my PB15, plus my wireless keyboard.

Works great.

When I want to just take my PB15, without extras, I use the Incase Laptop Sleeve - for PowerBook G4 15" and iBook 14"

They have a model for the PB17 as well.

This case provides a wonderful way to just carry your PB, wireless mouse and power adapter. Plus you can carry around a few papers as well.

I believe that both of these are only available at the Apple store.

Sushi

eleveneastgate

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2005
Tucano PB sleeves...

... found here:

http://stores.ebay.com/domesticfly_W0QQssPageNameZl2QQtZkm

for my PB, I purchased:

Applepb12greywp.jpg

with a free pouch:

IMGP2152sm.JPG

for my IB, I purchased:

dc_1_b.JPG

They were $27.99 each.

Hope this helps... :D

JGotham

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2005
Hey:

I'm a new switcher (or rather, will be switcher once my new PB arrives), and I've been going nuts to find a bag solution that will fit the bill. I'm kinda a bag freak, so I've done a bit more research than one probably should, I thought I would just give some knowledge that I have found.

I don't think a single bag will take care of it all, for protection, your going to want to get a sleeve and a bag. Stylish, is going to be purely your opinion, and practicality of use. I'm a fledgling graphic designer/IT college grad, so I'm still into the young sheik look, although I would probably reconsider if going corporate! So here's the lowdown:

Axio - these bags look pretty solid. I was considering one cause I primarily bike everywhere I go. The problem being side protection for your laptop. If you fall sideways, a couple people have reported that side impact (along the zipper) has caused great damage to their laptops. This for me seemed like a big downer, so I ditched on the Axio.

ACMEmade - these bags are really cool, even designated cool in HOW design magazine. There isn't much protection as far as laptop proetection goes, but look really nice. Not much room for anything but the book, so its more of a light travel to the coffee shop kinda bag. I'm considering getting one, but only as an accessory to a main setup.

Booq Bags - They look decent, functional, and in my opinion, simple is nice. They made a new Vyper sleeve, which I plan on getting, only it won't ship till April at the earliest. The sleeve seems SOLID, and they recommend pairing a sleeve with bags as a means to laptop protection, because honestly, I don't know of any single bag solutions that would make anyone feel super secure (contents shift, bags fall, its just not really possible with the various laptop sizes and forms). The sleeves fit certain laptops like a glove, and that will protect it pretty well. Pop it inside another bag of cosmetic liking, and go with that for looks.

CHROME bags - these are courier bags, which I must say, ROCK for riding on a bike. I just got one, and its bomber. The look is a little odd, but ultimatley looks pretty cool, and is a very functional design for a messenger bag. I'm going to pair a Booq Vyper sleeve with this bag for aroung the town biking with my laptop. These aren't laptop bags, just something different to give you options for outside carrying bags.

For you, Sir Sheik... go with a rugged and bomber sleeve like the vyper, and then wrap it with a ACME bag (the wider non SLIM ones) for superstar looks. That seems to be the look and functionality you are looking for. If that isn't to your liking, get a Vyper sleeve, and put it in a CHROME bag, but get a white one. Then, use a sharpie and let your creative side loose. It may sound crazy, but it might be worth it to just be original. Nothing pre-made is gonna top your own hand drawn masterpiece. As long as it means something to you. If anyone asks, say you got it at URBAN OUTFITTERS.

In the end, ROCK OUT....
Jonny Gotham

JGotham

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2005
Oh, I forgot RadTech sleeves and screen protectors... if you are super protective of that aluminum shine, wrap it in some nouveaux techie suede and put that in the sleeve... and then that in a bag.

Good Luck!

rt_brained

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2002
Creativille
I haven't seen anything about the Brenthaven bags that justifies the additional $ versus the Timbuk 2 bags. I've been through numerous bags over the last few years and these are the best I've used so far:

A. Timbuk 2 for work ~ $129.99
B. JanSport Optimizer backpack everywhere else - $99.00 (SALE $69.99 @ ebags.com)

Flyinace2000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2004
rt_brained said:
I haven't seen anything about the Brenthaven bags that justifies the additional $ versus the Timbuk 2 bags. I've been through numerous bags over the last few years and these are the best I've used so far:

A. Timbuk 2 for work ~ $129.99
B. JanSport Optimizer backpack everywhere else - $99.00 (SALE $69.99 @ ebags.com)

I jsut got the MarWare Sportfollio II sleeve and keyboard cover. I like it alot. Procects from scratches and the bumby road of life very well. The zipper is shielded from the laptop with some extra fabric. Best valentines gift in a while.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
I have the Brenthaven Professional Backpack for my PB, and also use the Radtech Screensavrz and Powersleevz for added surface protection. Want to keep that PB looking new. I may be a tad anal about my kit, but I'm not into shouting to the world that I'm toting an expensive laptop around with me. The Brenthaven is inarguably devoid of style, but the functionality can't be beat, IMHO. And it is amazing how much crap I can stuff into that thing.

If I were more style conscious, I'd have gone for something by Crumpler, Tom Bihn, or Booq. All good choices.

JCT

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2004
Tucson, AZ
I use the VoltXL by SpireUSA . It's a very rugged bag and beautifully balanced. I use it when I have serious traveling to do with my PB 17".

Great company, too.

Good luck and enjoy your PB,

JT

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.