Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klimos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
I'm not sure where to put it. The error is typical for Windows, but I haven't booted it for a month or so.

I have MacBook Pro 13" mid-2012 (last non-retina). The only difference to a tock configuration is SSD drive Crucial MX300 525GB that I installed over half-year ago. I also have 2 operating systems installed (each one on it's own partition): macOS Sierra and Windows 10 Pro using Bootcamp.

Today, like every morning, I put my MacBook to sleep (running macOS), put it to my backback and took it out after I arrived at work. I didn't notice a macOS user password entry screen, instead there was a black screen with:
"A disk read error occured Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart"
I suspect, the laptop rebooted by itself, because I'm sure I didn't switched it off and I didn't touch the power button.

Ctrl+Alt+Del of course doesn't work, so I had to do hard reset. If I don't touch anything after reboot, any OS doesn't load, I'm getting the same error. And now, most interesting: when I hold the option key to access boot menu, every time I'm getting different combinations of systems to boot into. In approximately 50% of the cases it is as expected: "Macintosh HD" and "Windows", but randomly I'm getting also:
- "Macintosh HD" only
- "Windows" only
- "EFI Boot" and "Windows"
- nothing (only WiFi selection dropdown)
- "Macintosh HD" and "Macintosh HD" (the same, but twice)

Whatever I choose, I am always getting an error mentioned in the thread title. If it matters, I noticed that couple of times, when I didn't select anything for a while (about a minute), all the disks disappeared and only WiFi selection remained.

EDIT:
I just noticed that my post contains only description of the problem and no question asked. Did anyone encounter a similar issue on a recent OS? I found something similar already, but all problems were related to old Mac OS X (like Lion) and Windows 7 (or even XP). Nothing new for Sierra/Win10 combination.

Last edited:

klimos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
The issue has been solved, but I don't have any good news to anybody who has the similar problem.

First of all, after not receiving any suggestions here and on other forums, I decided to remove all my partitions and set up the system from scratches. I already failed on creating new partitions in recovery mode. It couldn't have been done, as I was receiving different errors in Disk Utility. Then I decided to send my MacBook to professionals and diagnosis was: faulty hard drive with 99 CRC errors. It was Crucial MX300 525GB and I just bought few months ago during Black Friday sales. When I contacted the seller (Amazon) they sent me a new one and they didn't even want the old one back. After swapping SSDs everything is back to normal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.