Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 4, 2012
Wanted to start with the fan boy - my first Apple device was an Apple II - the first computer they actually sold. It had no HD - you loaded off a cassette tape. I bought one with 16K of memory which was the largest they sold. I've had many, many Apple devices since then.
Personally, I think IOS 13 is the worst I've seen. I'm not having battery or performance issues and yes I'm having email inconvenience bugs and iCloud backup issues but those aren't my issue.
My issue is that they changed so many things for what reason? Things that were easy and simple to use are now complex. For instance Health. My wife and I just look at steps and miles to compare today with yesterday etc. That use to be the main screen and you clicked on one and it showed you history. Now you have to do some setup just to see today and a whole bunch of things (which I have to search for ) to see history of each. Let alone manage 2 year old data. There are other apps where items where a option use to be at the bottom of screen 1 and now you have to do multiple screens or scroll way down.
Plus several Apple apps seem to have as much screen space as ads for more apps or services than the actual app.
Today, my wife said she was thinking of going to an old flip phone or back to a droid one.
I know people wanted changes but making things harder to do isn't a great way to change things.

Reactions: rexone

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Wanted to start with the fan boy - my first Apple device was an Apple II - the first computer they actually sold. It had no HD - you loaded off a cassette tape. I bought one with 16K of memory which was the largest they sold. I've had many, many Apple devices since then.
Personally, I think IOS 13 is the worst I've seen. I'm not having battery or performance issues and yes I'm having email inconvenience bugs and iCloud backup issues but those aren't my issue.
My issue is that they changed so many things for what reason? Things that were easy and simple to use are now complex. For instance Health. My wife and I just look at steps and miles to compare today with yesterday etc. That use to be the main screen and you clicked on one and it showed you history. Now you have to do some setup just to see today and a whole bunch of things (which I have to search for ) to see history of each. Let alone manage 2 year old data. There are other apps where items where a option use to be at the bottom of screen 1 and now you have to do multiple screens or scroll way down.
Plus several Apple apps seem to have as much screen space as ads for more apps or services than the actual app.
Today, my wife said she was thinking of going to an old flip phone or back to a droid one.
I know people wanted changes but making things harder to do isn't a great way to change things.
I agree the Health.app and the new "long press" contextual menus that have replaced 3D Touch are all a step backwards.
But in terms of general bugs/speed, iOS 11 was far worse.

Reactions: TheSkywalker77

As a long-term user, first Mac was an LC475 in '95, I have to agree.
Totally hear you on the ads. I do not want to use Apple Pay in Wallet &, to be honest, the more Apple nags me to the less likely I am to want to! Yet nearly 3/4s of the screen of Wallet is taken up by an Apple Pay 'ad' which cannot be removed.
Change for changes sake seems to have become the norm with Apple and many things become less useful or more complex.
A digression but three of my favorite examples from the OS...
- Change colored file & folder flags from full title bar to tiny dots. Why? And if the change was totally & utterly essential why not still have bars as a menu option somewhere like Accessibility? Not all of us have 20:20 vision...
- Remove system-wide 'open in new window' folder/file option. Again... why?
- Change save-as to 'Export'. Because that's not at all confusing as an option...

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
I usually back up Apple on just about everything but I think this roll out in general is quite bad. Already on 13.1.1. Watch and HomePod not yet up to match them to make shortcuts work. Seems like more of a poor rollout than anything else to me. iOs 13 was clearly rushed by about a week to get it to match with the 11 launch.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
I like iOS 13, swipe keyboard and dark mode alone make it well worth an update for me. It also runs very well on my “old” devices - iPhone 7 and iPad Air 2.

Let’s remember that any iOS or operating system is a compromise to accommodate to the needs/wants of million different people. This is not an easy task, IMHO. Each year people on these forums complained of iOS going stale and boring, with “Dark mode” requests topping their wish lists. Apple delivered, despite numerous challenges and staff departures they had to deal with this year (Jonathan Ive’s departure, Chinese tarif risks, etc.)

Besides, let’s remember that Apple software developers are also normal humans with all their pluses and minuses. They are well aware of the issues with iOS 13, hence we had three (!) releases within two weeks. They are also working on Catalina at the same time.

I say let’s be patient and give them some more time & encouragement.

Reactions: Easttime

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
I like iOS 13, swipe keyboard and dark mode alone make it well worth an update for me. It also runs very well on my “old” devices - iPhone 7 and iPad Air 2.

Let’s remember that any iOS or operating system is a compromise to accommodate to the needs/wants of million different people. This is not an easy task, IMHO. Each year people on these forums complained of iOS going stale and boring, with “Dark mode” requests topping their wish lists. Apple delivered, despite numerous challenges and staff departures they had to deal with this year (Jonathan Ive’s departure, Chinese tarif risks, etc.)

Besides, let’s remember that Apple software developers are also normal humans with all their pluses and minuses. They are well aware of the issues with iOS 13, hence we had three (!) releases within two weeks. They are also working on Catalina at the same time.

I say let’s be patient and give them some more time & encouragement.

But any of these features you listed has been available for long time. Swipe Keyboard has been around forever. Dark Mode has been with Android for long time as well. I don’t get why Apple can’t get iOS 13 done right.

Battery life has been terrible, I have lots of issue with Apple Music not playing songs, I have quite fee app crashes. It is general a disaster at best.

All these promoted me downgrade to 12.4.1. I am going to keep this as long as possible.

jay968

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2019
California
Apple seems to be the best company at "change for change" sake out there. They seem to do things for no apparent rhyme nor reason other than the fact that they feel they need to do something to justify a new iteration of whatever it is they are changing.
The icon app management in ios 13 is pathetic. What used to be a simple press of an icon in order to initiate the deletion of an app is now a process of having to press, wait for a menu, then choose among menu items. Or to move an icon, it used to be that all one needed to do was press the icon, wait for it to pulsate, then just drag it to where you wanted it to go. Now, it's several steps to achieve the same result.
I can never really understand what it is with these tech companies where they have something working correctly for years, and then cannot seem to get it right after an upgrade. An example of this is that when I go into the CNN app, I now for some strange reason have to be very careful that I don't try and swipe up to continue reading a story. If I am not careful and place my finger on top of a link when attempting to swipe up. it will automatically just go to the link. I then have to come back to the story and carefully do the swiping avoiding the link. This never happened prior to ios 13.
Dark mode (which I would actually love to use) is useless when using maps and I therefor keep it turned off.
Apps seem to be more likely to freeze at times than they did before ios 13.
Battery life seems to be worse in ios 13.
The email app seems now to be a bit of a pain as it doesn't always notify correctly and its menu system seem to have had changes for the worse.
I'm using an Xs. Is this just another Apple attempt to get people to upgrade to the new phones? Do they experience these issues? I wouldn't be surprised if they don't.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 4, 2012
As I've said - I don't have battery or speed type problems and most apps seem to work fine. Those of you with NO problems - you don't have the issue with backups not "finishing" until you go to another screen or emails not showing up until well after the notifications?
My issue isn't the bugs but the changes they have made that make things harder, for me, to do

fastbagger

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2015
Same position. I purchased a $479.00 Pixel 3A Xl and syncing with a Fitbit Versa 2 both work amazing. Think I may stay in Android for a while....or forever. Seems like Apple and Android are switching position Android 10 is smooth as butter.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Overall I really like iOS 13. Not a fan of how app updates were moved but I can live with it.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Apple seems to be the best company at "change for change" sake out there. They seem to do things for no apparent rhyme nor reason other than the fact that they feel they need to do something to justify a new iteration of whatever it is they are changing.
The icon app management in ios 13 is pathetic. What used to be a simple press of an icon in order to initiate the deletion of an app is now a process of having to press, wait for a menu, then choose among menu items. Or to move an icon, it used to be that all one needed to do was press the icon, wait for it to pulsate, then just drag it to where you wanted it to go. Now, it's several steps to achieve the same result.
I can never really understand what it is with these tech companies where they have something working correctly for years, and then cannot seem to get it right after an upgrade. An example of this is that when I go into the CNN app, I now for some strange reason have to be very careful that I don't try and swipe up to continue reading a story. If I am not careful and place my finger on top of a link when attempting to swipe up. it will automatically just go to the link. I then have to come back to the story and carefully do the swiping avoiding the link. This never happened prior to ios 13.
Dark mode (which I would actually love to use) is useless when using maps and I therefor keep it turned off.
Apps seem to be more likely to freeze at times than they did before ios 13.
Battery life seems to be worse in ios 13.
The email app seems now to be a bit of a pain as it doesn't always notify correctly and its menu system seem to have had changes for the worse.
I'm using an Xs. Is this just another Apple attempt to get people to upgrade to the new phones? Do they experience these issues? I wouldn't be surprised if they don't.
If you keep holding down on the app icon after the menu pops up it will go into wiggle mode.

shpankey

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2014
Oklahoma, USA
Or to move an icon, it used to be that all one needed to do was press the icon, wait for it to pulsate, then just drag it to where you wanted it to go. Now, it's several steps to achieve the same result.
You can still do it that way. Press and hold, but keep holding when the menu pops up for another second or two and it does it the same way.

Edit: beaten to it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.