Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesdean74

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
Hello! I fell back in love with writing music a few years ago when I discovered how easy it is to record using an iPad. GarageBand is my DAW of choice, for me it is super simple and doesn’t allow me to overthink or complicate, rather I just can record my songs easily, which is great for me. I use Universl Audio Volt 276 interface, which plugs into a usb hub connected to my iPad Pro. Vocal mic is a Shure SM7b which runs into a cloud lifter then into the Volt, and a Neumann TLM102 on the acoustic guitar. I recorded these videos with my iPhone. Thanks for checking them out! I am in the process of recording about 20 songs for a full album, and have released a few EP’s and singles over past 2 years. All songs have been recorded through the iPad.

And another

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
I'm resurrecting a nearly 3 month old thread... I know...

But this is indeed very cool, I love the recordings! Specifically, I like the nice stereo image presented with the guitar. The reverb on the vocals is also perfect! I also think D flat major is the perfect key for "Falling For You," I don't know why.

Anyway, great tracks! Congratulations on a job well done!!

Reactions: jamesdean74

jamesdean74

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
I'm resurrecting a nearly 3 month old thread... I know...

But this is indeed very cool, I love the recordings! Specifically, I like the nice stereo image presented with the guitar. The reverb on the vocals is also perfect! I also think D flat major is the perfect key for "Falling For You," I don't know why.

Anyway, great tracks! Congratulations on a job well done!!

Wow, thank you for the kind words, they are greatly appreciated! I’ve been having so much fun learning to record the last few years and it has sparked so much songwriting. I am currently at around 30 songs I’m in the process of recording for a full length album, not that I’m expecting any huge amounts of fanfare, I’m doing it because I have to, I want to, just to satisfy my own wants and needs, and if a few people dig the songs, that’s great too! Here is another song I posted the other day, still a work in progress, but a fun vibe to it. Here is the link….

And if anyone is interested, I do have a couple
EP’s and singles available to stream on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube, just search for Rob Edson. Cheers everyone, have a great day!

Reactions: rm5

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Wow, thank you for the kind words, they are greatly appreciated! I’ve been having so much fun learning to record the last few years and it has sparked so much songwriting. I am currently at around 30 songs I’m in the process of recording for a full length album, not that I’m expecting any huge amounts of fanfare, I’m doing it because I have to, I want to, just to satisfy my own wants and needs, and if a few people dig the songs, that’s great too! Here is another song I posted the other day, still a work in progress, but a fun vibe to it. Here is the link….

And if anyone is interested, I do have a couple
EP’s and singles available to stream on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube, just search for Rob Edson. Cheers everyone, have a great day!
Absolutely!! I think recording/producing/composing is equally as important and fun as playing live—coming from someone who does both. I mean I've been recording stuff since I was 6 years old, and I still love to do it. There's a certain creative energy that exists, especially when you're at your "high point"—motivated as can be, and you're just writing/recording song after song. I think those are precious moments that should never be interrupted—because if they are interrupted, you lose your creative flow, and then the next time you go to work on the song, you just can't figure out where to go with it... at least that's been my experience. And I'm not even a songwriter, nor do I compose a lot outside of writing film music.

That's also the nice thing about songwriters in particular, is that they express, in a very relatable way, their ideas, emotions, and of course, that's portrayed in the music. And most of the time, it's all so simple that all you need is a guitar, piano, etc. to accompany your vocals. The chord progressions are simple, the melody is simple—that's what I love about the genre. I mean you could obviously take it in any direction you wanted to, but for the most part, from what I've heard, it's all just conveying the emotion—and that's what the focus is on.

Anyway, I digress... what you're doing is just awesome, and I'm glad to have run into yet another person interested in this kind of stuff!

Reactions: jamesdean74
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.