Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i0ntempest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2019
Hi all,
I'm experiencing a few problems with Catalina and would like to confirm if they're happening not just on me, and if possible find solutions to them.
The 1st problem: Ever since Beta 2, my Time Machine stopped working. It just stuck on "Preparing backup" forever. I've tried a few solutions I found googling with no luck. If I start a new backup, it will backup about ~20GB and then stop there forever. I'm really concerned about this cuz if one day the OS crashes I'll be completely screwed.
The 2nd problem: Since Beta 2 (again), every beta update took about 6 hours to complete. The update from Mojave->Beta 1 was fine. The progress bar stuck at about 1/4 for a really long time, then continues. Not really a big problem as I can let it sit overnight, but still really annoying.
I speculate these 2 might be related, since both started since Beta 2. Anyone else is having the same problem? Any help is appreciated!!

Reactions: TimothyR734

i0ntempest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2019
Problem solved: the new OS corrupted my Photos Library. After examining Time Machine logs, I found it stuck in
Photos Library.photoslibrary/private/com.apple.photolibraryd/tmpoutboundsharing/ when I run the backup. When I try to access that folder Finder will also stuck there. Once I excluded it from Time Machine everything is fine again. I have iCloud Photos enabled so I just wiped the old library (took 8+ hours), but when trying creating a new one it errors out, which is prolly a bug in the new OS. Probably the update process is also slowed down by this corrupted library.

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
A few options if this happens again when you open the Photos App hold Control and Option it will repair your library. If you go into your pictures folder right click on Photo's Library-Show Package Content your saved pictures are the original folder you can compress the original folder as a zip then store it just in case something happens you still have your pictures

Reactions: LuisN

tethead

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2005
NJ
oh damn, mine is doing the same thing on Preparing Backup - it has not backed up since Beta 1! I am going to try excluding Photos as well and seeing if that helps, and also do the repair. I also use iCloud Photo Library so excluding it isn't a big deal to me... THANKS!!

i0ntempest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2019
A few options if this happens again when you open the Photos App hold Control and Option it will repair your library. If you go into your pictures folder right click on Photo's Library-Show Package Content your saved pictures are the original folder you can compress the original folder as a zip then store it just in case something happens you still have your pictures
@TimothyR734 Thanks for the tip, I'll try repairing if this happens again. Btw the rm command I issued on the corrupted library is still running (11+ hours).

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
This script is safe this give you permission to delete folders put the in your /Library/LaunchDaemons folder

Attachments

• CatalinaAutoMountWritable.plist.zip
    972 bytes · Views: 208

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
I have my SIP disabled because I am running Catalina on a unsupported Mac but you might be right but to disable you need to be in the terminal outside the macOS such as a bootable macOS installer usb or in recovery mode command R on boot up in the terminal its csrutil disable then when you need to turn back on SIP csrutil enable

Reactions: crjackson2134

i0ntempest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2019
I have my SIP disabled because I am running Catalina on a unsupported Mac but you might be right but to disable you need to be in the terminal outside the macOS such as a bootable macOS installer usb or in recovery mode command R on boot up in the terminal its csrutil disable then when you need to turn back on SIP csrutil enable
Yea I know that, before APFS I have SIP fully disabled, but now I have to leave fs protection enabled or abnormal shutdown could corrupt my startup disk. This had happened several times and I'm scared...

tethead

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2005
NJ
oh damn, mine is doing the same thing on Preparing Backup - it has not backed up since Beta 1! I am going to try excluding Photos as well and seeing if that helps, and also do the repair. I also use iCloud Photo Library so excluding it isn't a big deal to me... THANKS!!
update - nope. still sitting on "Preparing Backup" after excluding the library. Haven't attempted a repair, but I would think excluding it would have the same effect?

i0ntempest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2019
update - nope. still sitting on "Preparing Backup" after excluding the library. Haven't attempted a repair, but I would think excluding it would have the same effect?
Actually mine is also stuck after completing a new backup. If u want u can delete the your old backup and it should be able to create a new one. I’ll let mine sit overnight with log enabled and see what’s going on tmmr.

tethead

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2005
NJ
well i'd rather not destroy my backup, it's my only pre-Catalina backup! what kind of drive are you using, by the way? mine is a Drobo 5D hooked up via Thunderbolt > USB-C dongle. It was really slow with Mojave for a while, but still worked. It being completely stuck is new to Catalina.

i0ntempest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2019
well i'd rather not destroy my backup, it's my only pre-Catalina backup! what kind of drive are you using, by the way? mine is a Drobo 5D hooked up via Thunderbolt > USB-C dongle. It was really slow with Mojave for a while, but still worked. It being completely stuck is new to Catalina.
Mine is over network on a seagate 2.5 HD hooked up on another Mac running Mojave. I tried plugging the drive directly, no difference. I'm going to restore the newly created backup so I don't need to wait forever for the corrupted photo library to delete. Also if u don't want do wipe your old backups, you can create a new partition and use that for a new backup.

i0ntempest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2019
Okay so, my Time Machine has back to fully working condition (at least for now). What I've done is made a new backup and immediately restored it in Recovery. About 40GB of disk space appeared outta no where after restoring, but I didn't find any missing stuff. Looks like everything is fine for now.

i0ntempest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2019
Following up--update from Beta 5 to Beta 6 took only 30 mins. So the corrupted Photos Library is indeed the culprit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.