Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
There are many things I simply don't understand with Messages and iMessages.

First, how do I send an iMessage to someone's iPhone from Messages? It doesn't seem I can just type in their phone number, or can I? It looks like I can use any of my contacts to send a message, but what if they don't own an iPhone and don't have Messages? I'm used to the Skype-like contact list, where all of my Skype contacts have Skype, and their online/offline status is always shown. That's not how it is in Messages, so it's quite confusing…

Second, I'm sure everyone has some friends who own Macs and some who own PCs. So who exactly would benefit from a chat application that only allows you to chat with people on Macs? (I'm just talking about the computer-to-computer chat here). Wouldn't it make a lot of sense for Apple to release a version of Messages for Windows? I mean, why would someone choose Messages over Skype, if Skype is cross-platform?

I'd love to use Messages, but the only reason I can't is because the people I talk to mostly use PCs. I've heard it supports AIM, but none of my 300 contacts use that. What is it like, and what does it do? Is AIM PC-compatible? If so, would AIM then be like a PC version of Messages, just with a completely different interface? If I can get a few of my PC friends (and mostly family) to use AIM, then maybe I could use Messages to chat to them, instead of Skype…

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
It's meant for iOS device to iOS device and has now expanded to OS X devices.
It's also meant to be used with your associated AppleID or rather email address tied to that account.

Users don't need a text message data plan in order to use it. It's a benefit for those using Apple products. In some ways it's like BBM is to RIM products.
Messages are being sent to your email address not the telephone number.

TheGdog

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
North Carolina, USA
The problem is that, not everyone has an iPhone. So only some of your contacts will be able to contact you on the messages app. Its kinda silly. I wish Apple would figure out a way to link your number to your iCloud account.

Last edited:

almostaskater62

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2007
as far as the app goes, it's basically replaced adium (sad to say) as my chat client, as you can run facebook chat through it, so i basically have all (or most, most of my friends have imessages i think) of my chats in once place, which is nice. and if i'm at my computer i can for the most part leave my phone in my pocket

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
Hey I've got a question, if I set the caller ID on my iPhone to be my email address, will non apple users still receive my messages alright, with just my normal number?
Thanking you :)

Tiptizzle

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
as far as the app goes, it's basically replaced adium (sad to say) as my chat client, as you can run facebook chat through it, so i basically have all (or most, most of my friends have imessages i think) of my chats in once place, which is nice. and if i'm at my computer i can for the most part leave my phone in my pocket

How can you use the Facebook chat through it?

AnthonyFlower

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2011
UK
I find Messages to be lacking so much, it doesn't feel very 'Apple' at all yet.

I have SMSs on my iPhone that don't get sync'ed to my iPad or OS X,
I have Facebook messages on OS X that I can't get on my iPhone or iPad.
I have an address book full of people and I don't know what I can do with them (iMessage, SMS etc.)

I want an iCloud based fully sync'ed Messages, I want IM support for iOS, I want SMSs pushed to iPad and OS X (ideally also for them to be able to send replies using the iPhone as some kind of proxy).

Heaven would be to scrap this, mail, FaceTime and voicemail and create a single communication app with everything together perfectly in sync with each other. Especially on OS X, feels a waste to have two apps open when Messages could have been built into Mail with relative ease.
This would also mean when I send a message to a new contact I won't have to know what they use, it could give me the choice from their Address book options (Email, SMS, iMessage etc.).
Would an option for Siri to call them and deliver the message be going to far.... :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.