Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hecklerdanny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2007
Hi everyone. I'm just about to buy my first Apple TV to hook up to my 42" HDTV. I've got a few basic questions...

What "happens" when you turn the thing on? Does it connect wirelessly (bluetooth?) to my iMac and show up like an iPod or iPhone and allow me to load content onto it that way?

Can you easily remove and add new content? (Like an iPod or iPhone?)

Basically I'm just wondering what options I have for getting content onto the thing...

If I seem absolutely clueless about the Apple TV, it's because I am. I've never even considered buying one in the past, because i've never had a wide screen TV until now. So I literally know almost nothing about them.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
The Apple TV has 802.11n high speed wireless and Ethernet network capability. Thus, you connect it to your computer via a network, which I assume you have. There is a Network setting on the Apple TV that allows you configure it to your network. Then you need to configure iTunes on your computer so that it can sync with your Apple TV. There are a lot of neat things you can do once your configuration is done. Try it, you’ll like it. :)

mchalebk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
First off, there are two ways to view/listen to content from your computer on an AppleTV: sync and stream.

Syncing video/audio/photos is similar to an iPod, where you use iTunes to choose what material you want to be "synced" to the AppleTV hard drive. When you sync material, your computer does not need to be on to view or listen to it.

Streaming is just what you would think it is. The material does not get stored on the AppleTV hard drive, it just streams over your home network.

I have not tried streaming anything yet. I got the 160 GB version and use it mainly for music (with photos from iPhoto as a screensaver). I have some home videos synced.

You can rent movies from the iTunes store directly without going through your computer. You can also buy movies and music directly, which will then be synced back to your computer the next time you sync them.

The first time you power up an AppleTV, it will tell you what network(s) it can find. When you select one, you'll have to enter the network password (assuming it is password protected) and it will then give you a code that you need to enter in iTunes. After that, you tell iTunes what (if anything) you want to sync.

Hecklerdanny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2007
Thanks for the great info. This is exactly what information I was looking for. Like I said, I know basically nothing about the Apple TV or how you set it up, I just know what it "can" do. And that's why I want it.

Thanks again.

Alx9876

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2008
NorCal
You can also convert your dvd's to Apple tv video files that will go into itunes then strait to your apple tv.

Back up all your movies/dvds into the computer and use the apple tv to scroll through your library and play them back on your HDTV.

I learned how to do this from the folks on this board. Very helpful if you have any questions.

There is alot you can do with Apple tv. Worth it if you know how to exploit it.

I would advise that you google: hand brake.

Download it and then start asking questions on this board on how to use it. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.