Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Somewhere Tom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2005
A relative has an eMac, and I've been using her Sound Studio which comes installed. Now I have bought a Mac Mini and was saddened to discover Sound Studio does not come installed. With all the extra bells and whistles my "innexpensive" mini came to $850+... you'd think they could have included this one program

Would there be a way to get this pgm into the mac mini off the emac installation discs? I opened the emac disc 1 on the mini and did the "go to folder" thing (/volumes/ disc name /System/Installation/Packages/)
to see the installation packages, but sound studio was not there among the dozen or so choices.

There was a package listed called "additional software" in the directory but I'm hesitant to launch that. For disc 2, I could not discern the right "go to folder" path to get it to display other than a pdf saying "go to disc 1."

Any ideas? Or is all this a bit risky/dodgy?

ST

Somewhere Tom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2005
Well thank you for taking the time to reply. It is appreciated. I went to that site; I did not know it is a $50 piece of software. It bugs me still that it is free on one new Mac and not on another that essentially costs the same.

Alas I dont know how to subvert the process, I am a bit of a newbie. The processes you kindly assume I know I do not. You are welcome to clue me in. I am still curious if the software can be had from my family member's eMac disc somehow.

Regards, ST

jim.

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2004
C-ville, VA
I don't think that people here will clue you in as to how to pirate a piece of software. You'll have to search for that yourself. I can suggest a free program called Audacity. I'm not sure if you use Sound Studio specific features, but Audacity does quite a bit. Take a look and see if it helps you.

Jim

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
jim. said:
I don't think that people here will clue you in as to how to pirate a piece of software.

;)

I have heard a lot of great things about Audacity, although I've never tried it....

Tom, I understand your frustration, but I guess, I'm not sure why you would expect that every Mac come with exactly the same software complement.... it isn't true anywhere else in the computer industry. Sorry. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.