Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kung gu

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018

The Framework laptop is the best ultrabook.

No Dell, HP or Lenovo laptop can match this because this FULLY upgradable.

I see many people on this forum saying look my Dell/ Lenovo has upgradeable SSD and RAM well thats nothing compared to awesome laptop. Framework has built a laptop that is 99.99% upgradeable.
The screen, the bezel, the keyboard, the trackpad, the ports, the motherboard, the speakers and camera and microphone.

We NEED more laptops like this.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

The Framework laptop is the best ultrabook.

I see many people on this forum saying look my Dell/ Lenovo has upgradeable SSD and RAM well thats nothing compared to awesome laptop. Framework has built a laptop that is 99.99% upgradeable.
The screen, the bezel, the keyboard, the trackpad, the ports, the motherboard, the speakers and camera and microphone.

We NEED more laptops like this.
I agree, but the long-term value will be if the company still exists 5 or so years from now. I love the concept and the implementation. If they're still around when I'm ready to replace my current laptop, Framework will be at the top of the list.

Reactions: Cape Dave

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
I like the idea of the nicely put together system, with colored screws, labeled components etc. The weird USB-C modules are something I absolutely don't need, at all. Just give me a laptop with a decent amount of ports and I won't need that.
Anyway, looks like a nice idea that will change nothing overall.

Reactions: Cape Dave

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
These days I'm running mainly on desktops and they're a lot easier to expand (except for these M1s). I can use a laptop where I don't need as much horsepower or display capacity. My ideal laptop would be 17 inches, 4k, 128 GB RAM, Intel 11th Gen or AMD 5800H CPU, and a mid-range GPU that doesn't use a lot of power. Apple upgrading the 16 inch Intel MacBook Pro to Intel 11th Gen would be really great.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
Apple releasing another Intel MacBook would be hilarious, really. There is just no way that they'll update anything Intel beside the Mac Pro in the future.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Apple releasing another Intel MacBook would be hilarious, really. There is just no way that they'll update anything Intel beside the Mac Pro in the future.

They may have to if the current stuff keeps getting delayed.

Have you seen video of the Flooding and Typhoon in China?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think this is a great idea, but I find now in 2021, this whole concept to be more novelty.

At this point consumers largely think laptops are consumable, once the battery stops holding a charge, or the storage is full, they'll just buy another. Especially the newer one will be, well, newer. We all like new shiny things, just look at how popular leasing is, you get a new car every three years.

Personally, I'm checking them out, because its a great concept, maybe I'll see if I can get one for running linux

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
They may have to if the current stuff keeps getting delayed.

Have you seen video of the Flooding and Typhoon in China?
we will see later this year I guess. I will definitely not returning to MacOS for another Intel MacBook

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
I keep scratching my head why people are obsessed with upgrading laptops. In the past 25 years with all the laptops I've owned, Apple and otherwise, I've done the following upgrades:
  • Upgraded RAM in a Powerbook G4
  • Upgraded the hard disk in a Toshiba or Acer (can't remember)
  • Upgraded RAM and SSD in a Razer Blade 15 (2020 model) because Razer did not offer the config I wanted
That's it.

I can't even remember the last time I upgraded a PC after the initial built, except for adding hard disks (3.5" spinners). Whenever I really want to upgrade, it's usually "new socket required", "new chipset required" and I end up replacing the whole rig. This used to be very different 15+ years ago when RAM, CPU and GPU were upgraded every year.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I keep scratching my head why people are obsessed with upgrading laptops. In the past 25 years with all the laptops I've owned, Apple and otherwise, I've done the following upgrades:
  • Upgraded RAM and SSD in a Razer Blade 15 (2020 model) because Razer did not offer the config I wanted
That's it.

I can't even remember the last time I upgraded a PC after the initial built, except for adding hard disks (3.5" spinners). Whenever I really want to upgrade, it's usually "new socket required", "new chipset required" and I end up replacing the whole rig. This used to be very different 15+ years ago when RAM, CPU and GPU were upgraded every year.

Son is getting a new one from work as his current model has bulging battery and they do not want to repair it.

AndyMacAndMic

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2017
Western Europe
That's it.

Who is talking about upgrading only? It is nice to be able to replace your battery when it fails. Same for the SSD, RAM or other parts. This laptop is (as the video's show) easy to repair also.

Reactions: raqball and sracer

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
That's it.

It’s not only upgrading, for me at least. It’s more about not being able to repair anything anymore now.
But that’s a general problem with many devices. Last year some electronics of our not so old washing machine broke and it made no sense to repair it. You would have needed some specialized tools and the part itself was so expensive, that we threw it away and bought a new one.

Another example. All these butterfly MacBooks will be potentially useless at some point and it’s just to expensive to repair. What a shame

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
Who is talking about upgrading only? It is nice to be able to replace your battery when it fails. Same for the SSD, RAM or other parts. This laptop is (as the video's show) easy to repair also.
Let's see...

A FULLY upgradeable laptop. Better ultrabook than Dell, Lenovo and HP and MUCH better than Apple.
Framework has built a laptop that is 99.99% upgradeable.
That being said, sure you can repair things. Apple can switch batteries as well. You can replace SSD and RAM too, even if it's soldered. You can even do this yourself. All that being said, I've never had such components fail on me. Even the infamous lead free GPUs in the MBP can be reballed. I personally don't see the point.

AndyMacAndMic

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2017
Western Europe
Let's see...

That being said, sure you can repair things. Apple can switch batteries as well. You can replace SSD and RAM too, even if it's soldered. You can even do this yourself. All that being said, I've never had such components fail on me. Even the infamous lead free GPUs in the MBP can be reballed. I personally don't see the point.

I am sure others see the point. You are free to not see it ;)

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
Here's the funny bit though...

Not only are the memory and storage replaceable, but the entire mainboard can be removed and replaced with any of the compatible ones we’ll be building in the same form factor.
We also carefully selected and minimized the number of internal connectors to simplify installation and keep the system thin.

ARM would be interesting if they'd also offer Nvidia GPUs.
We architected the mainboard to maximize adaptability to future generations of x86 and ARM (and we hope eventually RISC-V!) CPUs.

Reactions: 09872738

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I think it's great that they are doing this, but I wouldn't buy it. Tests already show that it runs hotter and has lower battery life than comparable laptops, and it's also quite pricey for what you get. Unfortunately, modularity is not a free lunch, and I'd take my soldered-on highly optimized battery efficient RAM over potentially upgradeable RAM any time of the day.

Reactions: Silverstring

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I think it's great that they are doing this, but I wouldn't buy it. Tests already show that it runs hotter and has lower battery life than comparable laptops, and it's also quite pricey for what you get. Unfortunately, modularity is not a free lunch, and I'd take my soldered-on highly optimized battery efficient RAM over potentially upgradeable RAM any time of the day.

Tech change is going pretty fast these days and you only get their promise that they will make additional motherboards available in the future. If I really wanted to go this route, I'd get a SFF system with a standard form-factor so I know that I can upgrade it in the future. Add a portable LCD, small keyboard and mouse and PSU.

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
Let's see...

the point is those are not easy to do.

this is more of you pointing out how cool you think you are because you reflowed a few components.

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
Funny story about socketed components. Bought a Gigabyte mainboard last year, worked like a charm. A few days later, only half the RAM showed up. Tested the CPU and RAM, which were fine. So it had to be the mainboard, as one RAM channel was dead. I couldn't find any physical damage on the pins and since it worked and failed from one day to the next without removing components, I did send the board back to the dealer for an exchange. They claimed physical damage on the socket and that the board would not be exchanged but repaired by Gigabyte. After more than two months, still no repaired board. Dealer was ready to ship a new board at that point, but they didn't have any in stock. So I got my money back and bought a new one somewhere else which works to this day. Months of waiting for something that would have been a straight swap with soldered components.

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
the point is those are not easy to do.
So socketed stuff is useless in 99% of the cases? For water damage, other components which are soldered, CPU, etc. Again, I don't see the point then.
this is more of you pointing out how cool you think you are because you reflowed a few components.
You think that's cool? I don't see what's cool about it. But if you do, that's on you. I'm only pointing out the issues here when a manufacturer claims they're so modular by providing a plugged in battery, SSD and RAM while all the rest is identical to what Apple and many others in the industry do. When components on the boards fail you have to repair these or swap the mainboard, no matter if it's Apple, Dell, Lenovo or Framework. The problem is as in most cases PEBKAC. People think if they can swap SSD/RAM, then nothing else can happen.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I think this is a great idea, but I find now in 2021, this whole concept to be more novelty.

At this point consumers largely think laptops are consumable, once the battery stops holding a charge, or the storage is full, they'll just buy another. Especially the newer one will be, well, newer. We all like new shiny things, just look at how popular leasing is, you get a new car every three years.
To be fair, consumers think that because laptop makers (Apple in particular) have gone out of their way to make them near impossible for the average person to repair or upgrade without damaging them or voiding the warranty (if you can even get the components), and pushed the price of things like a battery replacement stupidly high so that buying a new machine seems like a more reasonable option.

Cancelled
Feb 12, 2005
Even the infamous lead free GPUs in the MBP can be reballed. I personally don't see the point.
Reballing doesn‘t solve the problem though. Its not the solder that is faulty, its the heat spreader. The GPUs need to be replaced (which still can be done, those are available still)

Last edited:
Reactions: JMacHack

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
To be fair, consumers think that because laptop makers (Apple in particular) have gone out of their way to make them near impossible for the average person to repair or upgrade without damaging them or voiding the warranty (if you can even get the components), and pushed the price of things like a battery replacement stupidly high so that buying a new machine seems like a more reasonable option.

Battery replacement in an Apple laptop is $199 including labor, and the battery lasts for almost 5 years. Buying a new machine is indeed a more reasonable option, simply because by the point you need to have your battery replaced, your laptop is already hopefully obsolete.

And that’s my main problem with products like the framework laptop. They claim that they offer better value to the customer, yet I don’t see it. Their laptop is not cheaper than any other laptop with a similar configuration, and an M1 machine at the same price level offer more performance, twice or thrice as long battery life and a better build quality. Sure, with the framework laptop you can upgrade your RAM to 64GB after couple of years if you feel that you need that. Sounds great, right? Not by that time everyone has moved to Zen 5 and Intel Meteor Lake with DDR5. So now you have 64GB of obsolete RAM in a laptop that’s slower than the cheapest budget PC, with terrible battery life on top.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.