Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eluon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2005
Spring, Texas
I am sure there are some other threads on this, but this was my first time to experience someone exciting about a mac by simply looking at mine - this semester :D

I was sitting in our library when a classmate of mine comes up and asks if he can sit at my table to study spanish. Fine... then I notice he starts to look at my iBook G4 (specs in sig). He says, "you know, the camp I work for in the summers all use Macintosh. They are just too expensive."

I said, "well, expensive when comparing them to a low end model computer, but once u beef up the upgrades to equal a Mac, they are roughly the same price. Heck, not dealing with Windows garbarge is worth the money anyways." - You guys know, the same Mac Bible track we are told to pass out :)

He then tells me he just bought a new laptop at best buy - paid 1,700 for it after virus software, a few upgrades, etc.

His mouth dropped, legs began to twitch and eyes got sad once he realized he could have bought a powerbook for that money. I showed him around Tiger, mentioned the sudden motion sensor and the fact that mac's have a great resell value.

Tomorrow, he is taking the laptop back to bestbuy to get a refund, putting the money in his account and buying a 15inch Powerbook.

Now, that is awesome! I think we should get a cut for all the profits we generate!

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Eluon said:
I am sure there are some other threads on this, but this was my first time to experience someone exciting about a mac by simply looking at mine - this semester :D

I was sitting in our library when a classmate of mine comes up and asks if he can sit at my table to study spanish. Fine... then I notice he starts to look at my iBook G4 (specs in sig). He says, "you know, the camp I work for in the summers all use Macintosh. They are just too expensive."

I said, "well, expensive when comparing them to a low end model computer, but once u beef up the upgrades to equal a Mac, they are roughly the same price. Heck, not dealing with Windows garbarge is worth the money anyways." - You guys know, the same Mac Bible track we are told to pass out :)

He then tells me he just bought a new laptop at best buy - paid 1,700 for it after virus software, a few upgrades, etc.

His mouth dropped, legs began to twitch and eyes got sad once he realized he could have bought a powerbook for that money. I showed him around Tiger, mentioned the sudden motion sensor and the fact that mac's have a great resell value.

Tomorrow, he is taking the laptop back to bestbuy to get a refund, putting the money in his account and buying a 15inch Powerbook.

Good job Eluon! Glad to hear that you got someone to switch. :D

Eluon said:
Now, that is awesome! I think we should get a cut for all the profits we generate!

Yes, that would be very nice indeed. :)

SummerBreeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
Chicago, IL
That's awesome! I love hearing switch stories, and it's a great thing that he was able to get a PowerBook of his very own.

It's funny, because it seems like PowerBooks and iBooks always seem to invite questions. People always tend to ask about about Apple, and how it works, and whether it can read Windows files and all that. It's a great way to meet people!

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
Thats a really cool switcher story, I felt sorry for the guy when you said how much he paid for the winblows laptop, hopefully bestbuy will give him a discount....

ShadOW

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.