Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

merc669

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2006
Southern MD, USA
What is a good External Keyboard that I can use for my MBP when not on the road and its sitting at my desk. I am trying to extend the life of my laptop keyboard by using an external keyboard when not on the road. Any good recommendations? Thanks!!

Bill....:apple:

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
You're going to get lots of different suggestions.

I like the Apple Wireless Keyboard (last gen). I would like to try the new slim version but that's not anywhere near the top of my "want" list. Maybe go to your local Best Buy and try out those first?

merc669

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2006
Southern MD, USA
Thanks for the idea. But I did not think Best Buy carries anything for the Mac? But will give it a look. I was looking at the new BT Keyboard from Apple or even the wired. Either is an option. Thanks!!

Bill.....:apple:

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
Well if you're looking for wireless then any usb dongle/BT keyboard (should) be compatible. I'd check the box to see compatibility. If you have a local Apple Store nearby you could checkout the new keyboards, test them out and see if you like them :)

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
The new Apple keyboard is honestly BY FAR the best and most comfortable keyboard I've ever used. I've used Logitechs, Microsofts, and a bunch of others and this is the best ones I've ever used.

merc669

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2006
Southern MD, USA
I will have to stop buy Best Buy and see if they have them or may just order one from the store. Nearest one is about 60 miles away. But have heard some good things about both the wired and the BT one! Thanks!!

Bill....:apple:

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
Most people have a strong opinion about the new Apple keyboards. Some absolutely love it and others loath it. Personally, I can't stand it. I used it for a week with my new iMac before I went out and bought a previous generation Apple keyboard.

Word of warning: try it before you buy it.

motoxpress

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2006
Well, another vote FOR the new keyboard. I use it with my MBP and carry it around in the bag. It works very well for me and I like the feel of it. The slimness means I can carry it more easily without giving up the full-size keyboard function.

-mx

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
Most people have a strong opinion about the new Apple keyboards. Some absolutely love it and others loath it. Personally, I can't stand it. I used it for a week with my new iMac before I went out and bought a previous generation Apple keyboard.
I'm one of those in the LOVE IT camp. I've got a Apple Wireless/Bluetooth keyboard if anyone is interested...need to get rid of it after I just bought the new wired aluminum one.

I've wanted to wait for the bluetooth one, but I'm actually developing Carpal Tunnel in my left hand, so I needed a lower-profile keyboard NOW, and can't wait any longer for the bluetooth one :mad:

MK2007

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2007

Word of warning: try it before you buy it.
I don't like it either. The low profile design is not at all ergonomically friendly. It's the worst external keyboard Apple has ever released.

In all fairness, I gave this new keyboard a good try. As soon as I could buy one I swapped my old white keyboard and used the new keyboard every day for weeks. Just yesterday I swapped back the old, normal profile white keyboard when I was cleaning my desk. It feels so much more natural and better to have my fingers meet the keys.

PimpDaddy

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2007
I bought the new wired keyboard. I really like it.

But as others has written. Try it out before you buy it. And make sure to try other keyboards as well.

Helfeather

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2007
The new wired Apple Keyboard is REALLY nice.

I bought it recently; its thin, the keys are great for typing, AND it has 2 USB ports!!!

Great for laptops.

tmoney468

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2007
I have a Saitek Eclipse for my desktop PC and it's a great keyboard. It has a great key feel and has backlit keys, which helps me because I like to work/game in the dark most of the time.

djkny

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2003
The new Apple keyboard feels tacky and very cheap. Now, if they made a USB keyboard based on the MBP model, that would be a diffferent story.

The best keyboard in workmanship, by far, is the Matias Tactile Pro 2.0, which has been sold out since early summer.

merc669

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2006
Southern MD, USA
I like the full keyboard of the Wired Apple one with the two USB Ports. The Saitek is a PC Only not for Mac. One question is there a power restriction on the MBP as far as how much or how many USB devices you plug in? I use a cooling pad for the laptop which maybe helping. But wondering if using a wireless would reduce power usage since I use a cooling pad (USB) and a USB Wireless Mouse. A lot of good reply"s and answers. Much thanks to all for the info!!

tmoney468

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2007
^But the Saitek also works for Mac, the only thing that is different is the Windows/Apple key, and those are interchangeable when using it on a mac. All the the Function keys work the same as they do on a Mac keyboard. But if you're looking for a keyboard that has the same looks as a mac, then obviously the Saitek isn't your best choice

DaveF

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2007
NoVA
After trying four keyboards, I settled on the Microsoft Curve 2000. http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/productdetails.aspx?pid=040

* My old MS Natural Elite uses a PS/2 connector. Connected via PS/2 to USB adapter, I can't swap Alt and Win key behavior.

* The new and old Apple keyboards are not curved nor "ergo", and I find them uncomfortable.

* The MS Laser Mac Wireless runs at 28 MHz and doesn't connect well in my house.

* The MS Natural 4000 had a wonky keyboard and quickly became annoying.

* The Curve 2000 is only $15, is highly configurable with MS' normal keyboard & mouse drivers and has unlabeled Function keys (so I don't get confused going for Expose but seeing Copy/Paste/Email icons).

And for a mouse I bought the Logitech MX Revolution.

merc669

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2006
Southern MD, USA
^But the Saitek also works for Mac, the only thing that is different is the Windows/Apple key, and those are interchangeable when using it on a mac. All the the Function keys work the same as they do on a Mac keyboard. But if you're looking for a keyboard that has the same looks as a mac, then obviously the Saitek isn't your best choice
I was looking on the site and they showed no drivers for the Mac. Just Windoze. I looked at Logitech and MS and certain models for both have Mac OS Drivers. So where did you get the drivers? Or did your Mac just see it as normal and work? Thanks!!

Bill Sends...:apple:

sligo

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2007
I tried the new slim brushed metal apple keyboard, and it hurt my hands after about a half hour of coding. my fingers in particular. Some people have said that it just takes getting used to, but I agree with the sentiment that you should definitely try it for a bit before buying it.

I currently own the tactile pro 2.0, and an older belkin usb keyboard that seems to work with my mac, and actually has a sleep button along with the power button. The only complaint I have with the tactile pro 2.0 is that the cable is actually two usb connectors and therefore takes up two usb ports on my macbook. One is for the keyboard, and the other is for the usb 2.0 dock. I do like the clicky older style of keyboards, but other people generally dont like how loud the tactile pro is, and if you are on the road this might be a concern. Especially on a plane.

I would suggest you check out the icekey, which is a scissor switch mechanical keyboard based on the same technology as laptop keyboards. It is very comfortable to type on, relatively quiet, and should suit your needs.

merc669

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2006
Southern MD, USA
I would suggest you check out the icekey, which is a scissor switch mechanical keyboard based on the same technology as laptop keyboards. It is very comfortable to type on, relatively quiet, and should suit your needs.
Have been reading some reviews of this after you posted this. I have read a lot of good reviews of this and may spend the money to try it out! Thanks Much for the info!!

tmoney468

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2007
I was looking on the site and they showed no drivers for the Mac. Just Windoze. I looked at Logitech and MS and certain models for both have Mac OS Drivers. So where did you get the drivers? Or did your Mac just see it as normal and work? Thanks!!

Bill Sends...:apple:

No drivers to install for the Saitek, worked fine after I just plugged it in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.