Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoshRtek

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2004
Hello all,

About a year ago, before I fell into the Apple craze, I built a top-of-the-line PC for gaming and video editing. Now, after having bought an iPod and PowerBook, I want to ditch my PC for a PowerMac.

The PC, as configured, a year ago, cost between $2800 and $3000 without monitor to build. It's a pretty fast Wintel box with nearly a terabyte of internal storage and a killer graphics card. What is the most you all think I could get for it today?

I want to buy the new, lowest end PowerMac, the 2.0 GHz Dual-Core machine...which will run around $2000 and change after tax...

Suggestions?

Thanks!

khisayruou

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2004
JoshRtek said:
What is the most you all think I could get for it today?

There is absolutely no way anyone can give you advice on how much its worth without any specifics on the components. I have no idea what a "killer graphics card" is and if it was a year ago...it won't be so killer anymore in the pc gaming world. ;)

buryyourbrideau is right, a pc gaming forum with a marketplace is a good place to start out with. There is also craigslist.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Don't expect much though. PCs have terrible resale value. Plus, top of the line a year ago is considered outdated today.

By the way, I just ordered parts to build a new gaming PC. I ordered top of the lines part and I didn't even come close to $2000. You may have a bad initial estimate.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
You need to post its complete specs first, plus if its homebrew it means less $$$. Best thing to do is go compare all your parts on newegg and see what it adds up to. Then you can start from there. But I can assure you even top of the line componets in PC land are still near the top a year later. Example is my AMD 3500+ 6800Gt Year and half later you can still buy these machines though they have come down in price a lot. Not obsolete by a long shot. Thats the Macheads talking. In fact a year and half old machine runs Quake4 just fine.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Dont Hurt Me said:
You need to post its complete specs first, plus if its homebrew it means less $$$. Best thing to do is go compare all your parts on newegg and see what it adds up to. Then you can start from there. But I can assure you even top of the line componets in PC land are still near the top a year later. Example is my AMD 3500+ 6800Gt Year and half later you can still buy these machines though they have come down in price a lot. Not obsolete by a long shot. Thats the Macheads talking. In fact a year and half old machine runs Quake4 just fine.
Not obsolete, but the price you paid for that 3500+ and 6800GT, you can now probably get a Dual Core X2 3800+ and a 7800GT.

iCeQuBe

macrumors regular
May 19, 2005
CT
You will probably get the most money out of it on eBay. What are the exact specs?

JoshRtek said:
Hello all,

About a year ago, before I fell into the Apple craze, I built a top-of-the-line PC for gaming and video editing. Now, after having bought an iPod and PowerBook, I want to ditch my PC for a PowerMac.

The PC, as configured, a year ago, cost between $2800 and $3000 without monitor to build. It's a pretty fast Wintel box with nearly a terabyte of internal storage and a killer graphics card. What is the most you all think I could get for it today?

I want to buy the new, lowest end PowerMac, the 2.0 GHz Dual-Core machine...which will run around $2000 and change after tax...

Suggestions?

Thanks!

JoshRtek

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2004
Specs

Okay...here's the low-down:

*Black, brushed alumnium Lian-Li aluminum mid-tower case.
*Pentium 4 3.2 GHz (LGA775 Socket)
*2.0 GHz of DDR2 PC4200 Dual-Channel RAM
*Asus Motherboard with Firewire 800, HD audio, wireless, dual gigabit ethernet, dual-RAID, many other features
*Sound Blaster Audigy ZS 2 Sound Card
*Asus ATI X800XT graphics card (PCI-express) w/ 256 MBs of video RAM
*1 x 74 gig Western Digital Raptor 10,000 RPM Drive (Serial ATA)
*3 x 250 gig Western Digital HDs, 2 in RAID 0 config (Serial ATA)
*NEC 16x DVD+-R/W burner
*Sony DVD-ROM Drive
*Windows XP Pro SP 2 installed

And...for the record...I'm pretty much done with gaming... I originally bought the PC because the equivalent Mac with those specs was completely out of my price range, and I thought I was still into games...a year later, I realized I'm better off with an Apple PowerMac solution and I haven't really played any of my games...

And to think it all started when I bought my iPod mini...

JoshRtek

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2004
LOL...well, I was expected as much, actually lower...

Anyhow, I'm cursing myself for not going Apple back when I built this damn thing. It works fine and all, I've just been converted to Apple now, so...

Anyhow. I'll probably just hang onto it, because it doesn't make sense to sell it and make next to nothing when there's nothing wrong with it other than the fact that it's a PC. Thanks for all the help though.

ortuno2k

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2005
Hollywood, FL
I say try ebay.
I sold an older Dell P3, 1GHZ, 512MB, 40MB, 64MB VRAM for $200 about 3 months ago.
You should be able to get around $800 if not a little more; do a little comparison shopping before you sell.
That's a nice PC too.

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
I actually sell my machines at work... I've always been able to sell them to people that realize that the 300 dollar Dells are trash. They also realize that my 2 year old machine is their idea of too much power! :eek:

doucy2

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
i might be interested in some of those parts if you ever decide to part the thing out
lmk

macg4

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Des Moines,Iowa
yeah go to ebay with it. when i switched over i had to part my high end pc out and sell peice by pecie on ebay. worked for me, good luck

biohazard6969

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
toronto canada
i'm VERY interested if your williign to part with it for around or just under 800, you can keep most of the internal drives i wouldn't need that much space in my whole life! :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.