Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 18, 2003
I've been looking all day... and I can't find a good slideshow program for OS X...

In XP, its super nice since you can preview a pic, and click next to browse the next picture in the folder. There are tons of slideshow programs, but non seem to let you traverse through a folder.

GraphicConverter lets you browse through a folder, but you have to open the program first and tell it which folder to look in... blah.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jelwell

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2003
i have most of my images in iphoto, which has a slideshow. but having to add images that aren't your photos to iphoto just for that sucks.

Preview has a fullscreen mode but you have to hit the right arrow button or click to change to the next photo. Apple should add a slideshow option to Preview!

joe.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 18, 2003
Originally posted by virividox
lets ask apple to steal this feature, its about tim they did their own stealing

Yeah, no kidding... If only preview let you switch to the next photo like XP does...

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
I Know of One...

I personally do not like Windows XP's implementation of what is essentially a preview of a photo.... I use iPhoto, Photoshop's File Browser, or plain column view in the Finder.

Yet: there is a need for such an app. I know of something that you might like: it's called SimpleView 2.2. It is freeware, and it's awesome. Just drag any folder containing images to it's app icon in the dock, and you instantly have a slide show. Click to go forward, and use arrow keys to rotate. When you are done, simply hit esc and you arte back to the finder.

I use this often to preview images from my media card before comitting them to iPhoto or HD, or when I simply want to show my friends the photos we just took. Give it a go: Do a versiontracker.com/macosx search for it.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
jpeg view

I remember back in the System 7 days, I had this program called Jpeg View. It was great. I wonder if it works in classic.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Originally posted by jelwell
...Preview has a fullscreen mode but you have to hit the right arrow button or click to change to the next photo. Apple should add a slideshow option to Preview!

joe.

how is clicking the right arrow in Preview any different or worse than clicking "Next" in Windows XP? i think opening a folder full of images in Preview is a fine way to um, preview a set of images. and i don't know why but i have a sneaking suspicion that previewing images is exactly what PREVIEW was designed to do. :)

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 18, 2003
Originally posted by tjwett
how is clicking the right arrow in Preview any different or worse than clicking "Next" in Windows XP? i think opening a folder full of images in Preview is a fine way to um, preview a set of images. and i don't know why but i have a sneaking suspicion that previewing images is exactly what PREVIEW was designed to do. :)

Well, the problem I've found with preview is that if you open a single file, it won't let you go to the next file in the folder unless you highlight it to open as well.

The main problem with preview is if I have 1,000 picture images in my folder, I have to highlight them all, choose open, and it lags horrible (on a G5 even) as Preview caches previews for them all.

I may try out that program mentioned above, where you drag a folder into the program... still a little bit of a pain. I just wish preview could go to the next picture in the folder without opening that pic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.