Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Josephkyles

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
I just got my new bluetooth mighty mouse. The side buttons are too hard to press. Is there a way to make them more sensitive?

also, the right click rarely works. I am very disappointed

chicagdan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2002
Chicago, IL
I just got my new bluetooth mighty mouse. The side buttons are too hard to press. Is there a way to make them more sensitive?

also, the right click rarely works. I am very disappointed

Yeah, it sucks. I've had two of them, right clicking is impossible to master and the side buttons are pretty much worthless. The biggest problem I've had is that the scroll ball tends to stick after awhile and there's no way to unstick it. I had to return a Mighty Mouse for that reason ... the replacement was just as bad. I switched to a wireless MM and it's been okay so far, but I expect it to fail eventually.

jsalzer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
Sticky Balls

Yeah, it sucks. I've had two of them, right clicking is impossible to master and the side buttons are pretty much worthless. The biggest problem I've had is that the scroll ball tends to stick after awhile and there's no way to unstick it. I had to return a Mighty Mouse for that reason ... the replacement was just as bad. I switched to a wireless MM and it's been okay so far, but I expect it to fail eventually.

I actually disabled my side buttons because I was accidentally pressing them while picking up the mouse (while holding a click). I'm much happier now that I've done that.

I've had the problem with the sticky ball. It gets to where it will scroll up but not down, or down and not up. Holding it upside down while spraying condensed air at the ball or holding it upside down and wiping down the ball with a clean cloth seem to work. When they don't, restarting the computer helps. (I half think it's a software issue and that the holding upside down part has more to do with it resetting than actually removing gook, but when you find a series of steps that works, I guess knowing which ones don't contribute isn't really important.)

:)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
The mighty mouse has a tension adjuster like the previous Apple mice, right? Does it only affect the main click, or does it also affect the side buttons?

I think the issue with the side buttons might be that how much perceived force they take is very dependent on how big your hands are and how you hold the mouse.... I personally hold my mouse very loosely and I think I'd find side buttons kind of irritating. But other people seem to really benefit from them.

Irish Dave

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2006
The Emerald Isle
I actually disabled my side buttons because I was accidentally pressing them while picking up the mouse (while holding a click). I'm much happier now that I've done that.

I've had the problem with the sticky ball. It gets to where it will scroll up but not down, or down and not up. Holding it upside down while spraying condensed air at the ball or holding it upside down and wiping down the ball with a clean cloth seem to work. When they don't, restarting the computer helps. (I half think it's a software issue and that the holding upside down part has more to do with it resetting than actually removing gook, but when you find a series of steps that works, I guess knowing which ones don't contribute isn't really important.)

:)

Yeah, the side buttons are are pain in the ar*e.

My right click button is absolutely fine as is my .... nipple.

Dave :)

ventro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2006
I have two mighty mice, one regular, and one BT. The side buttons on the regular one are perfect, and work great. but the BT ones are way too hard to click. What's this tension adjuster thing and how does it work?

shellbryson

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2006
Edinburgh
Also go into System Preferences and set the right button as Secondary Click.

Sean :)

Reminds me of a very annoying glitch in Tiger on my PowerBook. I have right-click turned on under my account, but my other half has it disabled on her account. Every two or three user switched Tiger "forgets" I have right click enabled, and I have to go to the control panel thing, un-check the right button and re-check it. It works again then. Iritates the hell out of me :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.